Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 6th December 2020, 05:37 PM   #11
stereo71 is offline stereo71  United States
diyAudio Member

Over the years, I've had a lot of Dual tables. My first was a 1218 bought mail order, still have it somewhere...I wanted the 1219 back then, but couldn't quite afford it. Now I have a 1229 daily driver, with several Shures mounted on different cartridge sleds. Have always liked the M91 carts, but the V15-III is a nice one also. The current styli available are generic, but some will come really close in performance to the originals. Seems like the hardest thing to determine is who is actually manufacturing them. If you can trust the stated origin that sellers claim, the Japanese ones are likely made by Jico. Others can be Swiss-made, it's a crap shoot. I've had good luck with the ones that come in the EVG (Russell) packaging.

I have two 1019s waiting to be cleaned up, one needs an idler wheel. Several 1219s in pieces; a working 1249 that's a nice player, also 721 direct drive, etc. They all sound good. But there's something great about the 1019! It's a clunky looking thing, but if you get one set up well they're amazing! Heaviest platter of all the Dual idler drives, although it's not the largest diameter. One thing about the 1019, the cartridge sled is a different design, and can be trouble in the wiring between the arm head and the cartridge connectors. There are a couple sellers of reproduction sleds out there, and recently one has been offering an injection molded replacement that I've found to be a good fit. The other, 3D-printed one can be sort of hit or miss in quality. Original sleds can be made to work, but it's tedious.
Old 6th December 2020, 06:29 PM   #12
minerwelder is offline minerwelder  United States
diyAudio Member

nice ya I just learned about duals wish I had known about them in mid 70s when I was a teen of course at that time car stereos were more important to me and my firebird and girls.
Old 6th December 2020, 08:30 PM   #13
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerwelder View Post
nice ya I just learned about duals wish I had known about them in mid 70s when I was a teen of course at that time car stereos were more important to me and my firebird and girls.

In 1974, as the ripe old age of 21, I purchased a Dual 1229 turntable
*$199.95

-optional extras-
Walnut base - $30
Dust cover - $30
Shure V13 type2 improved - $64
45RPM stacker spindle adapter - $6.50

Total cost = $330.95 + tax

At that time however, I was working in an audio salon, and knew the value of such equipment.
Had the Dual up to 1983, when my first apartment got robbed.
Man was I pissed!

Last edited by wiseoldtech; 6th December 2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10th December 2020, 05:29 AM   #14
minerwelder is offline minerwelder  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks to kstolleis I have transformers on the way, (my wife is giving them to me for Christmas) and for our anniversary I'm getting the Nagaoka mp110 cartridge, so I'm going to be very happy soon. I'll be posting pics of my amp in my other thread.
  Reply to this post

SSE what Cartridge for turntableHide this!Advertise here!