• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Grounding transformer case?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all -- I remember this being mentioned somewhere but now I can't seem to find it. As I am finishing my SE build, should I be sanding my transformers at the contact points with the chassis to create a safety ground?

The chassis is anodized aluminum so I plan and sanding a spot and using a star washer for a chassis ground, but can't remember if I need to do anything special with the transformers.

Thanks!

I asked the same question when I mounted my SSE transformers.

I was told to use Kep Nuts, or star washers. These will dig in and make contact with the metal. So, that's how I mounted mine. I measured less than 1 Ohm resistance at every point.

Attachments

• 1102-120-2.jpg
    1102-120-2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 156
Thanks! I'm still a little confused if I need to worry about grounding the case of the transformer itself? It's an Edcor, and is painted with something non-conductive.

Right now I have sanded a patch on the underside of the anodized aluminum and used the star washer. I have good connection with that point on the chassis, but the outside of the transformer itself doesn't have a ground connection (non-conductive).

If you are worried about it sand the paint off one foot of the underside of the transformer.

Use a star washer on the topside of the grounding bolt. The teeth should dig into the paint and ground the transformer.
the first method is the preferred method

Last edited:
Star washers work great and you're right - the powder coat is non-conductive but George correctly points out that if you ever have a short or issue with transformer and there is bare metal ungrounded you have exposed B+ waiting for you.

Not something to take lightly. Scraping some paint or the star washers are cheap insurance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.