• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Birk's SSE Build Thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm using the HLLY AMK-II, which I really wasn't very impressed with when I bought it. So in the spirit of DIY I decided to modify it.

- replaced the caps in the signal path with some genuine WIMA MKP
- replaced the main volume control chip (CS3310) with a TI PGA2311
- built an RJM VSPS and installed it under the hood of the AMK-II, in-line with the AUX input (converting it to a phono input)

Overall I am pretty happy with it, but I have recently started to get curious about building something else. Wayne's 2018 Linestage is high up on the list, but I am also interested in trying something really simple and clean (passive).

Actually, I built Harry Haller's passive pre-amp today with parts out of my bin. It works, but sounds like poo. Exceedingly obvious, grainy distortion. I might try replacing the resistors and POT and see how it goes. Most comments about that project are pretty encouraging. There are more threads about it here from 18 or so years ago.

Last edited:
This might be a little off topic but my project is stalled while I wait for the weather to warm up so I can paint my chassis.

I’ve read conflicting things about power conditioners with regards to tube amps or amps in general so I’m wondering if there’s consensus here.

Some say you need an expensive conditioner to filter out noise. Others say you just need a surge protector in case of a surge. And some recommend plugging it directly into the wall.

Is my assumption that if the amp is off its protected correct? Even if plugged right into the wall?

How do transformers handle voltage spikes/dips? Is a surge protector enough or is a voltage regulator helpful at all? Or not necessary?

Curious about everyone’s thoughts on this. I currently use a Furman M-8x2 and Furman M-8S.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It's difficult to imagine any downsides to using power conditioners, other than initial cost.

I use a Ricoh branded filter/conditioner that is intended for use with huge office photocopiers. I only chose it because the quality for the money is nearly unbeatable. My amp plugs directly into the conditioner, and I have a standard power bar plugged into it and all my peripheral audio gear is plugged into the power bar.

Hopefully the weather warms up for you soon!

It's difficult to imagine any downsides to using power conditioners, other than initial cost.

I use a Ricoh branded filter/conditioner that is intended for use with huge office photocopiers. I only chose it because the quality for the money is nearly unbeatable. My amp plugs directly into the conditioner, and I have a standard power bar plugged into it and all my peripheral audio gear is plugged into the power bar.

Hopefully the weather warms up for you soon!

The only downside I’ve heard of is that power conditioners can choke some amps that have high current demands.

I’ll look into the industrial type conditioners I hadn’t thought of that before. Thanks.

I have this same kit but only used it to mount the soft start PCB I used. For the SSE PCB itself I used some 10-32 screws and spacers. Like you I mounted all parts on top of the PCB. Mine is screwed to the bottom chassis plate using 1" spacers which gives about 1 3/4" clearance between the top of the PCB and top plate. This was enough to clear all parts and leave some room for air to circulate around them.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the "Soft Start PCB" that you used. I plan to use SS rectification only and a "soft start" system would seem to be a good idea for tube protection.

Making progress this weekend:
001(5).HEIC

Well, I got everything wired and grounded this morning so I decided to turn the amp on. First with no tubes and then with tubes installed. Nothing smoked so I hooked up some small speakers and ran audio from my phone through the amp.

With the volume and phone both at max I heard audio coming from the output transformers and very weak distorted audio coming from the speakers. With no audio playing there is a faint hum coming from the amp itself and no noise whatsoever through the speakers.

Not sure where to start investigating, any tips would be appreciated. I have it configured in basic triode mode without CFB.

001(6).HEIC

Hi Birkbott,

I am just about ready to fire my SSE up for the first time. Just need to get everything grounded and pick up some slow blow fuses. I wish I could help with your trouble shooting but I am terribly unqualified to do so (for now). Out of curiosity how did you wire up the LED?

Hi Birkbott,

I am just about ready to fire my SSE up for the first time. Just need to get everything grounded and pick up some slow blow fuses. I wish I could help with your trouble shooting but I am terribly unqualified to do so (for now). Out of curiosity how did you wire up the LED?

I branched off the 6.3v leads to it. Not sure if it needs a ground or not. I haven’t tested it to see if the housing is hot yet.

Doing my own research the only thing I can think of is that when I powered up the amp first I didn’t have speakers connected so I fried my output transformers. I really don’t think this is the case because I didn’t smell anything and the power tubes didn’t get super hot or anything, but just a warning to load your speaker terminals before powering up for the first time.

I’m gonna post pics of my wiring soon and see if anyone notifies anything wrong.