• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New TSE-2 build, eventually dht push pull

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Hi All. I'm almost finished gathering parts for a TSE build, which will eventually be run through Electraprint 5k>PP interstages. First things first though is to just breadboard the TSE and get it up and running. I searched the forum but I'm not seeing any direct mentions to how the B+ is dealt with for different tubes. I see the set resistor for the filament regulator, and the trimmer for B-. I'm going to be using 45s for the final build when I drive my PP pair, but at first I'll probably do a Chinese 300b. I'd like to hear some other members stories about what they've done. Choke input, changing dropping resistors, changing PTs...how do you deal with your B+ for different tubes in your TSE.

Thanks all,

Loren

Most people are choosing the power transformer high voltage for the tube they intend to use.

You can move the B+ down a pretty good amount by switching from a 5AR4 to a rectifier tube with a larger voltage drop, like a 5R4, or even a 5Y3 or 5W4. You can drop it some more by omitting the first capacitor in the CLC B+ supply, and going with an LC type of power supply, or some combination of the two.

I've done both with a TSE I board and had good results. I prefer an LC power supply, personally.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, about an LC supply. Especially since eventually it will be a larger amp, I may just go for one PT instead of separate a for the TSE and the dht pp pair. Weight is going to start to be an issue with chokes, the interstage transformers and large opts, etc. I've been meaning to start a thread on it just to keep it all in one place, as well as encourage other use of the TSE in PP designs, and it's nice to hear what others have done. Especially since my budget is tightening here toward the end of part acquisition, and the cheapest I could find the 372 or similar was around 100. I'm sure some other people have gone in the other direction with lower secondary voltages and SS rectification as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.