Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 22nd October 2020, 12:16 AM   #11
brl0301 is offline brl0301
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
brl0301-- I used to home-brew. Made a clone of Sabco brewing system. At one point, I spent around $500 on the brewing system and the boss asked how much I was going to spend and told me if I wanted to spend more, I had to sell some of my other toys. I sold a Denon HT system and gave her half the money and she never mentioned it again.

My stereo gear is mostly out in half of the detached garage. My wife and my son don't like the volume or music selection. Eight watts through the Cornwalls is loud. I mostly keep the noise level low so I don't disturb the ER physician next door who sometimes works the night shift.

The 45 tube sound is what I would call more detailed. The 300B do have a fuller, lush sound.

Cheers!
Good call on the gear out in the garage. I have a second setup in mine that I listen to while working on projects and while brewing. I worked graveyards for years and I am sure your neighbor is very greatful that you keep them in mind.

I think Im gonna pull the trigger on a set of used ebay tubes and pick up another edcor transformer that will run both the 300b and 45 tubes. Might even make a project of it with a few switches so I can swap between the 45 and 300b.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:51 AM   #12
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Might even make a project of it with a few switches so I can swap between the 45 and 300b.
Let me offer you a word of warning from my personal experience.....don't make it easy to switch from 300B's to 45's. The 300B has a 5 volt filament. The 45 has a 2.5 volt filament.

You will be REAL UNHAPPY when you stick 45's into the amp and flip the power switch to see the flash of light that reminded you a bit too late that you forgot to set the filament voltage back to 2.5 volts. Yes, I fried a pair of perfectly good 45's. Fortunately it was 15 years ago when you could still find good used ones for $10.....those days are gone.

I was lucky enough to find an old Sparton radio chassis in a flea market for $10, with tubes. The output tubes were National Union NX-483's with 1929 dated stickers on them. The NX483 is a 45 with a 5 volt filament, so there is no possibility of frying them. They also seem to be quite happy with 325 volts on the plates, so I can simply swap the output tubes. Those tubes have been in TSE #1 for 15 years. They are now 91 years old and still kicking......I doubt that I'll last that long.
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:23 AM   #13
Duke58 is online now Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Those tubes are almost as old as my mother in law. She's 92 and might outlive me and my wife. Not sure what her filament voltage is, but I doubt I'll be listening to music if I make it to 90.
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:06 PM   #14
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder if it was Manny, Moe, or Jack that tested this 247 on July 22, 1932?

It still works as good as new!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pep boys 7_22_32.jpg (95.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by w5jag; 22nd October 2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:48 PM   #15
brl0301 is offline brl0301
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Let me offer you a word of warning from my personal experience.....don't make it easy to switch from 300B's to 45's. The 300B has a 5 volt filament. The 45 has a 2.5 volt filament.

You will be REAL UNHAPPY when you stick 45's into the amp and flip the power switch to see the flash of light that reminded you a bit too late that you forgot to set the filament voltage back to 2.5 volts. Yes, I fried a pair of perfectly good 45's. Fortunately it was 15 years ago when you could still find good used ones for $10.....those days are gone.

I was lucky enough to find an old Sparton radio chassis in a flea market for $10, with tubes. The output tubes were National Union NX-483's with 1929 dated stickers on them. The NX483 is a 45 with a 5 volt filament, so there is no possibility of frying them. They also seem to be quite happy with 325 volts on the plates, so I can simply swap the output tubes. Those tubes have been in TSE #1 for 15 years. They are now 91 years old and still kicking......I doubt that I'll last that long.
If 2.5v on a 45 tube is good then 5v must be twice as good right?!

Thats good advice. Maybe if i go that route I will place switches underneath the top plate so the swap will have to be deliberate. Super cool that almost 100 year old tubes and making great sounds.
Old 23rd October 2020, 01:14 AM   #16
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
then 5v must be twice as good right?!
Yes, but you have to listen real fast.

I have put 12.6 volts on a 6.3 volt indirectly heated tube a few times without failure. Maybe the 45's would have survived if they were new, but these were old tubes sourced from Ebay, hamfests or even dead radios from flea markets. Some DH filaments get real brittle with age, so the thermal shock of a serious voltage overdose did them both in, really fast.

TSEII 300b to 45 swapHide this!Advertise here!