• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SPP troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my third tubelab amp and the first one not to work correctly on first power up. Since I have never had an issue I am not real sure about how to go about the troubleshooting process.

One channel works perfectly and the other has a very weak output. No fuses have popped. Nothing is smoking. I have swapped tubes between the channels and that did not make any difference.

I checked the cathode bias resistor voltage and I get 10 - 11 volts on all el84's.

B+ is running about 345 volts.

Weak channel: r203=.87v r207=101v

Working channel: r103=.86v r107=na

The rectifier tube arced and the fuse popped so I quit at this point. I must have been cycling it on and off to fast. I have an inrush limiter on hot and one on the high voltage center tap to ground. I will look for another 5ar4.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should actually measure? I am looking at the schematic and guessing as to what is important.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.