• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Need TSE checkout help. 5842 plate voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Couple things.
Went through all caps and visual inspection of semiconductors.
My b+ is 450v. B- is 260v.
I am using FDP5N50NZ.
Looking at U2/3 now.

Shouldn’t b- be around 150?
B+ seems high. Does adding power tubes drop b+ that much?

Last edited:
So I think found the problem. I have bad cap values for c4, c2/3, and c6. I am gonna pull the board and check via the schematic. I am not sure it jives with the parts list for caps. Or I built this when I was not sober. Which could be possible. :). C4 is my fault. I added a 0 to it so it’s 470uf.
Thanks for the input.

All through checkout. Need to order 300b tubes and had the rectifier tube go bad.
B+ Is 430v
B- is -290v
Grid V is -131 & -143v but pots ran out of room to adjust.
Input tube is @170v but pot ran out of headroom to turn.

Time to order output tubes and do some final assembly.
Thanks for the help.

Created my jumper harnessing and did a test fit up.
Need to rework some of the harnesses so I can get under the hood easier.
Also need to tweak the washers as they are interfering with the 300b’s.

Attachments

• B5855BC5-CF21-481E-97D7-60C756312373.jpeg
    B5855BC5-CF21-481E-97D7-60C756312373.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 189
So new issues; been chipping away at this guy.

I can not adjust the voltage on 5842 over 165. My pots run out of throw.
The other issue is my 300b bias gets to over 65ma at start up with the lowest voltage.
The voltage goes to -165v for both channels.
I also found out 1 of my meters will not read mA even though it has the settings. I was using voltage instead.

I can not adjust the voltage on 5842 over 165. My pots run out of throw.

We are dealing with 5842 tubes that are old and were pretty widely scattered parameter wise when built. It is possible that yours are a bit outside the range of the current board setup. The easiest way to fix this is increase the value of R10 and R21. If you have a 620 ohm in there now go to an 820 or even a 1K. This will give you more adjustment range.

The other issue is my 300b bias gets to over 65ma at start up with the lowest voltage.....Grid V is -131 & -143v but pots ran out of room to adjust.....Grid voltage on output tubes can adjust from -25 to -120v.

Not quite sure what the grid voltage can go to, but -120 volts should run a true 300B to near cutoff (under 10 mA) even with 450 volts on it's plate.......but what is a true 300B? Many current production 300B's tubes are a bit different from the WE spec, so maybe your tubes need a bit more negative voltage.

This can be accomplished by increasing the value of R11 and R22, or reducing the value of R13 and R24, whichever is most convenient. Change the value about 10%.

Neither of these problems should prevent the amp from operating. Run some music through it and make sure everything works before changing lots of parts.

Thanks for the advice.
I measured voltage across R29/18 in the picture shown.
~.5v across both resistors with -130v bias voltage (measures w/o tubes).

Got sound from 1 channel. Got some awkward squawking from the amp so now I powered down and am working to find why only 1 channel works. Swapped all tubes and the problem didn’t follow.

Back to troubleshooting.

Attachments

• CA813C21-1ED5-4CDB-968A-4BFBE7B488CB.jpeg
    CA813C21-1ED5-4CDB-968A-4BFBE7B488CB.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 130
So had l lead pop off and hit c9’s lead to the board and got a puff of smoke and “the” smell.
Now I have B+ voltage at the grid of V4.
My guess is q1 shorted. Time to pull the board back out.

Assuming TK5A50D would work as a replacement.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.