• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New SSE Build (Possible tube/bias issue?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everybody!

I have built a couple of guitar amps in the past, but the SSE is my first foray into HiFi amp building.

I started the build back in March. When I ordered the transformers from Edcor, I had them shipped to Sumas WA, just across the border from me (I'm a Canuck). Unfortunately, they arrived a few days after COVID shut down the border... The project went on the shelf as I not-so-patiently waited for the border to reopen. And waited...

Eventually, I gave up and managed to find a cross-border shipping company/broker to bring the transformers across the border.

Finally, I was able to throw it all together for a test run (a proper enclosure will follow). There were no issues that I noticed upon initial power-up, and the amp sounds great! I am currently running the amp in triode mode with no feedback.

However, I did notice that my power tube screen grids are glowing (EH 6CA7EH). Not an even glow across the whole grid, but only on a few of the grid filaments. Is this possibly a sign of faulty tubes, or due to the fact that the tubes are running quite close to their max dissipation? I don't see any signs of red-plating.

Vk=38V Rk=560ohm Ik=67.9mA Vak=377V (Total dissipation=25.6W)

The 100ohm grid resistor is dropping 0.95V for 9.5mA grid current, which works out to 3.57W of grid dissipation (which is safely below the 8W rated for this tube).

Specs:
Edcor XPWR002 720V Power Transformer
Edcor CXSE25-8-5K Output Transformers
Edcor CXC100-5H-200mA Choke
90uF polypropylene aux capacitor
Sovtek 5AR4
EH 12AT7EH
EH 6CA7EH

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 124
I should clear up any potential confusion with how I mounted my CCS ICs.
I wasn’t a huge fan of the usual method used for installing the ICs on the underside of the board, so I ended up swapping R13 with R19, and R23 with R29, allowing the ICs to be installed on the underside of the board but with a more conventional orientation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.