• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Voltage Regulator struggle...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm still trying to get a voltage regulator on my SSE. I'm now testing to see if the problem is with my amp. Is there any reason this set up wouldn't work? I can't seem to get any sound from the amp (aside from a small pop or two.)

I've tried rebuilding the entire amp with a new SSE board and I've replaced every single passive component (the one exception are the OPT's) and I still can't seem to make it work...

I don't see any problem with this set up, but I'm no expert. If this is a good set up my next step would be to rebuild it in the traditional manner and start from there (the sensible solution.) I just thought I'd try to see if I can get it to work like this before I install all the PSU components.

Thanks,
Glenn

Attachments

• Glenn SSE with TestSupply.png
    Glenn SSE with TestSupply.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 201
Thanks Jan...so I have tested the Voltage regulator and it works fine. I've included the set up Tom recommended for the regulator in this post. I had set up the regulator with a 20 volt test supply and with the regular power supply transformer too. Works like a champ!

I had problems getting the regulator working with the SSE, so Tom suggested that I try to determine if the problem was with my SSE. And sure enough, that seems to be the problem. It's too bad, it was working just fine before I tried to improve the sound (have you ever heard that one before?)

I'm thinking I may just have to populate the PSU...no more sitting around watching old SCTV skits on youtube! (If you do want to watch old SCTV skits on youtube I'd recommend "Half Wits" and the "Leave it to Beaver 25th anniversary special"!)

Glenn

Attachments

• Glenn SSE with Maida.png
    Glenn SSE with Maida.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 197
I run SSE boards on external power supplies all the time and they work just fine. What is your problem exactly, no voltage on the board?

How are you connecting up the regulator board? The negative output of the regulator should go to the T1-RED-YEl connector, and the positive output of the regulator should go to the L1 terminal closest to the rear of the board.

Note that some solid state regulators DO NOT LIKE a large capacitor connected directly to it's output, so C2 might need to be removed.

I'm not too familiar with that particular board, but there muse be no other path from the HV secondary on the transformer to ground. IE, if there is a CT it should not be grounded.

Last edited:
I looked up that regulator. It can be found here:

21st Century Maida Regulator

What are you using for the power transformer? The original transformer in the SSE will not work with a bridge rectifier connected to the red wires. The original transformer in the SSE has a 750 volt or so CT secondary. Connecting the red wires to a bridge will produce somewhere near 1000 volts. If you did run the regulator in this manner, I doubt that it's still alive.

Does your regulator system produce any voltage now, if so how much?

If you are using a different transformer to power the regulator, and it's producing somewhere between 375 and 450 volts, what are you using to power the heaters of the tubes in the SSE?

If you are using the original SSE transformer for power this regulator should be easy to connect to the SSE board using the on board rectifier tube with three wires connected in place of the choke and aux cap, since both input and output grounds appear to be common.

Thanks George

I've hooked up the regulator as you've suggested and I've got music! But after less than a minute I notice my dim bulb tester starts to slowly get brighter and then I start to hear a buzzing sound. Within a short while the light gets very bright and the hum is louder than the music (at first it sounds GREAT before the buzz gets going.) The power transformer has a ground (or perhaps a centre tap?) I've not hooked it up as you've suggested.

The power transformer I'm using is the Hammond 712:
Hammond 712 - 115V 50/60Hz 850VCT 130VA
With the regulator I'm able to put out 450V.

I am using the old 374BX to power the heaters for the moment but I plan on putting DC power on the heaters. But not until I get the regulator working properly (one thing at a time for me.)

Attachments

• 700sch.gif
    700sch.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF0461.jpg
    DSCF0461.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 135
I may have spoken too soon.

I disconnected the dim bulb tester and plugged the amp back in and there is a low-level hum and a few pops too. Right away, long before the regulator is working. I never noticed that with the music on. And not just from the speakers but there is an audible buzzing hum coming right from the SSE board too! Weird...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.