• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Power transformer very hot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
half an hour and it is hot.
Ive already killed an Edcor XPWR059 which had been running for a couple of years.
So a bit cautious with this one

On my TSE, the transformer will get too hot to leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. It will usually take a few hours to get that hot though. What are you wall voltages at? I know mine typically run quite high.

It seems a few peoples are hot to touch. So possibly worrying unduly.
My wall power comes from a regenerator and set at 230v and the trans is wired at 240v as my normal wall power can creep up to 252v.
Must of been just unlucky with the last trans. As everything else is OK.
Thanks

The amp is a Tubelab SSE. The load on the 6.3V winding with a pair of KT88's and a 12AT7 is 3.5 A. The 5AR4 / GZ34 draws 2 amps from the 5 volt winding. The B+ with a 5AR4 is usually around 430 to 440 volts. The total current from the B+ will depend on the bias current, which depends on the cathode resistor chosen at build time. The usual bias current is 60 to 70 mA per tube plus about 18 mA for the 12AT7. It should be under 160 mA total.

The only real unknown is whether this amp is running like all the others, so the two important questions are what value cathode resistors are in the amp and how much voltage is across them. Knowing the exact B+ voltage could determine the exact load on the transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.