• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Oh yeah another SSE build

Hey spiggs, you're actually even cooler that that: you're a tube amp builder! :cool: There was a lot of decision making and troubleshooting involved, and you stuck it out. That's even more impressive considering the "extras" you incorporated as those things usually wind up complicating matters (at least initially).

Congratulations on an excellent build!

Hey spiggs, you're actually even cooler than that: you're a tube amp builder!...
Thanks Mr_Zenith, I really appreciate that. I do think it is pretty cool! Here are a couple more photos of the amp all setup and playing music.

Attachments

• PXL_20200926_191333152.jpg
    PXL_20200926_191333152.jpg
    965.2 KB · Views: 1,190
  • PXL_20200927_034807170.jpg
    PXL_20200927_034807170.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 419
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Congratulations for the nice mechanics around the amp!

As for transformer noise : I'm rebuilding an engineer amp with a toroid as power transformer, because the original PT was too hot. This temperature problem is gone, but the PT makes noise when wife uses her hair dryer, probably the serial diode to half-heat it causing DC on the main line.

Congratulations for the nice mechanics around the amp!...

Thanks

... DC on the main line.

I have a couple of DC blockers now to try and see if they make a difference. However right now with the amp plugged into the power strip with the rest of my audio gear the toroidal has been silent. Of course the weather has been more moderate around here so A/C use and other electrical demands are down.

Well trouble in paradise. Listening to some music this morning then all of a sudden volume goes way up in the right channel accompanied by a buzz, no volume in left channel. Volume pot on amp has little effect but software volume for the streamer works. Will need to investigate later. No smells or smoke so I am hoping it's just some screw up I did with the input wiring.

Built a prototype headphone adapter for my SSE. The big resistors are 8 Ohm, the small are 120 Ohm. Sounded great through my 32 Ohm Mezze Classic headphones but I did hear a very slight buzz at times. Still have way more volume than I need so I might try putting in another 120 Ohm in series and see what happens.

Attachments

• PXL_20210214_180315041_resize_73.jpg
    PXL_20210214_180315041_resize_73.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 250
Gave it a try with another 120 Ohm resistor in series. Happy with the sound. Still plenty of volume and I can't hear any background hum or buzz. So with my headphones 240 Ohm total works. Now to figure out the best way to switch outputs between speakers and headphones.

I have had an odd intermitent problem with my SSE. Every once in a while the right channel increases in volume and the left channel goes silent. If I stop the music I hear a buzz in the right channel. The volume pot has no effect on the volume when this happens. If I turn everything off then back on everything works as it should again. This happens infrequently. Any ideas what could be causing this?