Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 20th May 2020, 04:38 PM   #11
spiggs is offline spiggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHector View Post
Many people survive without it, so it should be ok. The important thing is that it is either on or off. Some of the specs for those NTC varistors have operating currents in the middle of the expected range, or after, so they could have a varying affect in usage. Not so critical in an SSE where the current ought not to vary so much.

In looking at the datasheet for the CL-160 the max steady state rating is more than double the CL-140 2.8A vs 1.1A. Also the max current is far higher at 64A vs 6A. I just don't know how to determine if in this application the CL-160 will heat up enough to do it's job or do I basically just have a 5ohm resistor in circuit now?

Quote:
I can see you are building on one side of the board - have you considered how it will be finally installed in a case? I built my first SPP on one side, but it would have been more flexible to have had the tubes on one side so I could have had the tubes exposed on a chassis.

I put a lot of thought into topside vs bottom side install of the capacitors, semiconductors, and connectors. I decided that I will design the chassis with a fixed bottom plate and removable top. I anticipate that the amp will be heavy and servicing would be easier if I don't have to flip it over. The tubes will poke out somewhat from the chassis but removing them will require the top plate to come off. However I will make top plate removal easy.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:56 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
Attached is the BOM for my build. I included parts for the tube rectifier in the list since I did look them up but will not use them (they are highlighted.) Also the power transformer I choose does not have a 5V tap for tube rectifier use.

Updated BOM for my build, corrected some errors and added changes. Most notably updated TR1 to correct Cl-140 inrush limiter.

Mods - is there a way to delete the earlier BOM I posted? Would hate to have anyone use it and get the wrong parts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SSE_BOM.zip (7.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st May 2020, 09:33 PM   #13
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mods - is there a way to delete the earlier BOM I posted? Would hate to have anyone use it and get the wrong parts.
I copied the BOM in post #12 and pasted it into post #6. If I did it right they should both be the same now.

Quote:
I just don't know how to determine if in this application the CL-160 will heat up enough to do it's job or do I basically just have a 5ohm resistor in circuit now?
It won't hurt anything, but it probably won't do much either. Even the CL140 doesn't get hot enough, since it's minimum current is 200 mA. The current pulses are high enough to make a CL140 into a 10 ohm resistor or so after a minute or two, and slightly lower if it's inside a hot amp.
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:46 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
I copied the BOM in post #12 and pasted it into post #6. If I did it right they should both be the same now.

It won't hurt anything, but it probably won't do much either. Even the CL140 doesn't get hot enough, since it's minimum current is 200 mA. The current pulses are high enough to make a CL140 into a 10 ohm resistor or so after a minute or two, and slightly lower if it's inside a hot amp.

Thanks George. The BOM in post #6 is the same.

With the CL160 the minimum current is 800mA. So yes it looks like it is the same as if I installed a regular 5 ohm resistor.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:21 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

PCB is stuffed. I am still waiting for the OPTs but have all the other parts including power transformer and tubes. Are there any checkout steps I can do at this point?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200522_224531.jpg (970.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 25th May 2020, 07:43 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Starting to work on the chassis. Any issues with using a layout like the one pictured?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200525_002032.jpg (979.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 25th May 2020, 09:22 AM   #17
vernonb is offline vernonb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
Starting to work on the chassis. Any issues with using a layout like the one pictured?

I don't think you will fit your wires in past the oil Cap ;-)
Old 25th May 2020, 04:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonb View Post
I don't think you will fit your wires in past the oil Cap ;-)
It is tight but I think I could route the wires over or under the cap. My main concern is that I am not arranging components in a way that will promote audio interference.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:05 PM   #19
OldHector is offline OldHector  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I had a similar layout but put the toroid under the top plate, where you have your choke. Then you’d have more room for your OPTs, and maybe you could fit the motor run capacitor vertically.
Old 26th May 2020, 07:02 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had a similar layout but put the toroid under the top plate, where you have your choke. Then you’d have more room for your OPTs, and maybe you could fit the motor run capacitor vertically.

With the layout as shown I would have the toriod under the top plate along with the cap and choke. The tubes and OPTs would partially stick out. The plate everything is on is 12" x 12" and would serve as the bottom plate of the chassis.

I tried moving the toroid up front but it becomes too tight of a squeeze. I would need to have it partially or fully above the top plate to make it work. I could move the cap above the choke and mount it laying down on the top plate. Question is would moving the cap so I don't need to route the OPT wires over it give me better audio performance?

Oh yeah another SSE buildHide this!Advertise here!