Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 4th April 2020, 02:01 PM   #11
Carbon13 is offline Carbon13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
I found the same thing. Here's a good summary I wrote a while back on this topic (specifically for Canucks): SE Output xfmrs....who are the current suppliers for not many $$$

That whole thread is probably worth a read if you like to over-analyze things like most of us around here.
Cogitech, that is a terrific summary! Exactly what I was looking for in terms of available options. Out of curiosity, what was your total cost of parts for your SSE build?
Old 6th April 2020, 05:03 PM   #12
cogitech is offline cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

Output Transformer options for SSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon13 View Post
Cogitech, that is a terrific summary! Exactly what I was looking for in terms of available options. Out of curiosity, what was your total cost of parts for your SSE build?
Total parts cost for my build is a bit over $800 CAD (tax in). This includes the optional choke and a big motor run cap. It does not include power tubes, driver tubes and the extra Chinese OPTs. I had budgeted $700, but then I decided to add some extras like voltmeters, ammeters, VU meters, extra tubes...

It is a lot of money, but I decided that life is too short and I really enjoy this hobby and listening to music through the components that I build. I've cut down on the single malt scotches for a while - a small price to pay, IMHO.
Old 6th April 2020, 05:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Total parts cost for my build is a bit over $800 CAD (tax in). This includes the optional choke and a big motor run cap. It does not include power tubes, driver tubes and the extra Chinese OPTs. I had budgeted $700, but then I decided to add some extras like voltmeters, ammeters, VU meters, extra tubes...

It is a lot of money, but I decided that life is too short and I really enjoy this hobby and listening to music through the components that I build. I've cut down on the single malt scotches for a while - a small price to pay, IMHO.
NOT THE SINGLE MALT!!!

I kinda figured it would be around that much. I'm still trying to land on whether to do the hammonds or the transcendars like you did. I'm going to source out my parts list and see what I'm looking at. We may be hunkered down for a while so may be a good time for a project.

PS. Bushmills "Black Bush" is an excellent irish whiskey that is great bang for the buck. No single malt but very drinkable!
Old 6th April 2020, 05:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I certainly don't want to push you one way or the other on the OPT selection because it is a very personal choice, but I just have to remind you that your speakers are 98dB efficient (!!!). Even when the family isn't around, I really doubt you are ever doing to use more than 10 watts, which will result in over 100dB SPL. That's *******' loud, man!

I like to use this page to get a sense of what power I need - AllegroSound * AllegroKnowledgeBase * Amplifier Power Calculator * (calculator is down the page a bit).

I'll check out that whiskey!

P.S. I have an SPL meter and when I turn things up to what I consider "loud" (loud enough that conversations become difficult) I very rarely see 92-93dB peaks, almost always in the mid to high 80s. At "normal" levels I am generally in the high 70s and low 80s.

Last edited by cogitech; 6th April 2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 7th April 2020, 01:27 PM   #15
spendorite is offline spendorite  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've cut down on the single malt scotches for a while - a small price to pay, IMHO.

Enjoying a glass of fine single malt scotch each day is one of the great pleasures
in my life, I would'nt dream of cutting back on that, more likely to cut back on
hi-fi. However, I'm fortunate to be in a position to continue with both.
Old 16th April 2020, 03:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hey Carbon13, I got my amp up and running with the Transcendars. I am very pleased with the sound, however I have not tried the cheap Chinese ones yet so I cannot provide any opinion/comparison. It will probably be a few weeks before I do that (ran out of solder and had to order online). Going to pick up a bottle of the Black Bush today!

Last edited by cogitech; 16th April 2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 16th April 2020, 03:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey Cogitech, Congratulations!!

I was actually following along and was super excited for you! Wish you were closer so I could come hear it in person (post social distancing of course

I've been thinking a lot about the SSE project and it is something that I want to do but I have a lot of $$ invested in my Fisher 500c so I figured I should probably try to get the most enjoyment out of it before I do anything else.

So my current projects are 1) rebuild my Klipsch Fortes with recapped crossovers and new titanium tweeter and 2) try some tube rolling with the Fisher. I figure that should keep me busy for a while and then I can decide whether or not to go down this rabbit hole! I suspect that I'll eventually decide to build an SSE but I am still a bit nervous about it.

Enjoy the black bush!!
Old 16th April 2020, 03:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks, man!

It took me a long time to take the plunge and order the SSE board from George, but in hindsight I don't know why I waited so long. On the other hand, it sounds like you have plenty of stuff to tinker with and that's a big part of the pleasure of this hobby. I tinkered and heavily modded an EL34 push-pull amp and enjoyed listening to it for several years. Great fun, but I have to say it is much more satisfying to build an entire amp.

A little over a week ago I turned 50 and received a bottle of 15 year MacAllan triple cask from my wife. I need to get something else in the house to drink because the temptation to drink the MacAllan is overwhelming. I am actually really excited to try the Black Bush. The description I read sounds delicious.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:04 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well, it's no 15yr MacAllan single malt but it's a great everyday Irish whiskey that I enjoy. I think it's great bang for the buck as whiskeys go.

Yep, I love the idea of the SSE project and can just imagine how rewarding it was to fire it up for the first time and hear something that you built. Must have been a great feeling indeed! Deserving of a celebratory whiskey!
Old 17th April 2020, 04:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hey that Black Bush was very nice! Incredibly smooth. Not quite as complex as the MacAllan, but that is to be expected. I'll certainly be buying more when it is gone. Thanks for the recommendation!

Output Transformer options for SSEHide this!Advertise here!