• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE must die .... not yet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, I'm Giuseppe writing from Madrid.
Yes, struggling with Covid-19 and locked up at home.
I have a TSE and happy with it from....maybe 7-8 years.
Maybe the virus, maybe don't know what, the thing is that a couple of days ago I was listening music from my loved TSE 300B when a channel said : puuf and stopped music. After that R14 begun to smoke....
To make a long story short, after some measurement I thought that Q1 was bad and replaced it (probably after so long a screw released and Q1 lost connection wirh heatsink.
Made all the checkout following instructions, put on 300B, speakers on......no music from one channel and very strange measurement....I was measuring R19 - R29 and the value from "bad" channel was out of measure (one channel : 65mV , the other : 6V) ..... stop all, off the tubes, check again.

Attached is a photo with measurement I have today....I think all is OK so muy next guess is that one of 300B is bad.

What do you think?
Is there a way I may check a bad 300B or next steps?

Many thanks, and thanks George for TSE-II.

Best regars all

g.

Attachments

• TSE-measure.jpg
    TSE-measure.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Auto answer : I tried to put the "good" 300B in each channel and ... measures good, and sound OK.

The "bad" 300B measures too high voltage on R18 (6-8V vs the normal 0.65-0.70 V)

So now the new question is : what kind of 300B do you have and are you happy with?

Many thanks for reading.

g.

G, would like to hear about your experience of the EML and whether there is a difference from your previous ones (which were they?)

I considered JJ too but then settled on the GoldLion PX300B which pCX had a good sale on.

OK, will let you know as soon as have enough time to let them burn-in (100 hour aprox).

And have to get rid of a B+ issue have discovered.

Regards

Giuseppe

Well...changed Q1 and U2, yesterday all seemed go very fine...good music, new tubes.
Today strange bad noise from one channel and one of the output transformers very hot.
TSE on the bench again, now I find more than 400V on one of the 5842 plate..not surprise it was ruby red.....
What could be?

I think it's saying me to stop trying and go for a V2

If yoy have any suggestion OK, meantime will order a TSE V2 from George.

Thanks

g.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.