Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 16th February 2020, 12:37 AM   #1
Soundengine is offline Soundengine  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default HELP Tubelab sse beginner problem

This is my first amplifier project and it's one of the most cool thing I've ever built. Unfortunately there is no sound from the left channel. All tubes lights up and seems ok in the dark.

Component list:
PT: Hammond 374BX
OT: Hammond 1628SEA
Choke: Hammond 193H
Auxilliary cap: Temco 100 uf
Tubes: 12AT7 Electro Harmonix, Sovtek 5AR4, EL34 Electro Harmonix

I took some voltage measures:
B+: 450 vdc
R17: 32
R27: 33
R10: 0
R20 0

I thought the problem was my potentiometer so I removed it: no change. I've redone all soldering on both side. I took basic triode wiring for my amplifier. D3,D4 TR1 are jumpered. The problem seems in the preamp section... I'm facing a wall, any advice ?
Old 16th February 2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Steady7 is offline Steady7  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundengine View Post
This is my first amplifier project and it's one of the most cool thing I've ever built. Unfortunately there is no sound from the left channel. All tubes lights up and seems ok in the dark.

Component list:
PT: Hammond 374BX
OT: Hammond 1628SEA
Choke: Hammond 193H
Auxilliary cap: Temco 100 uf
Tubes: 12AT7 Electro Harmonix, Sovtek 5AR4, EL34 Electro Harmonix

I took some voltage measures:
B+: 450 vdc
R17: 32
R27: 33
R10: 0
R20 0

I thought the problem was my potentiometer so I removed it: no change. I've redone all soldering on both side. I took basic triode wiring for my amplifier. D3,D4 TR1 are jumpered. The problem seems in the preamp section... I'm facing a wall, any advice ?
Go ahead a upload some pictures of your board. This will be very helpful for us to maybe guide you in the right direction.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Soundengine is offline Soundengine  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here's pictures of my board. I'm a beginner so please constructives advices or comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubelab1.jpg (755.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg tubelab2.jpg (891.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 16th February 2020, 09:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundengine View Post
Here's pictures of my board. I'm a beginner so please constructives advices or comments.
The best advice I can give you right now would be to go back and check your soldering on all your resistors especially your coupling caps, looks like a majority of them may need a bit more solder to make a solid connection. You want them to look like a little "ant hill"

If you have a multimeter I would take that and ohm out all your resistors going from solder pad to solder pad across the resistor to make sure you have continuity across the resistors, do not touch the leads of the resistor with the meter leads just solder pads. If meter reads OL or nothing there is your open.

I'm sure someone will chime in about what else to checkout for not having sound in the left channel.

Last edited by Steady7; 16th February 2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 16th February 2020, 09:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am newbie myself so I am sure someone else will have better advice, but that is where I would start. Once you eliminate the board itself by checking it over closely I would then re wire it and take some measurements. Be safe!

You can also search the forum for your issue. Here is one I found doing a quick search:

First Tubelab SSE Build - no sound -need troubleshooting help

SSE left channel dead....

Last edited by Steady7; 16th February 2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 17th February 2020, 09:39 PM   #6
OldHector is online now OldHector
diyAudio Member

Soldering looks fine to me. Try and get voltages on all the tube pins referenced to ground. That can be a useful way to identify where to investigate.

HELP Tubelab sse beginner problemHide this!Advertise here!