• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Yet Another SSE Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
While I am sure you are frustrated and exasperated, at some point with help from this board, you will find the answer, and it may make you do a Homer Simpson "Doh!" Such is the world of DIY. Sometimes learning is painful, but when you get this baby back to running perfectly your statisfaction and knowledge will both be greater. Kind of like when you can't find your keys and have looked everywhere. Keep the faith. You are close. Don't give up now.

Thanks for the morale boost. I need it! :yes:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just re-ran this test and it measures 212 ohms (and the reading only takes a couple of seconds).

Something is seriously wrong here.

OK, maybe this will narrow things down a bit, and maybe it is just me being a dumb-****.

I just re-ran this test but made one change - I disconnected the green transformer wires (filament?) from the T1-GRN terminals on the board.

The reading is now 80.6 K ohms.

Logic tells me that since this is much closer to the correct reading (75 K ohms, as described by George) then the short (causing the 212 ohm reading) has something to do with these green wires.

Am I even close to correct?

Last edited:
I just re-ran this test but made one change - I disconnected the green transformer wires (filament?) from the T1-GRN terminals on the board.

The reading is now 80.6 K ohms.

Logic tells me that since this is much closer to the correct reading (75 K ohms, as described by George) then the short (causing the 212 ohm reading) has something to do with these green wires.

A short between the HV winding and the filament winding inside the transformer, or outside?

Your guess is as good (much better, I am sure) than mine.

Definitely not outside of it, from what I can see. They come out of different sides of the tranny and down through grommets in the chassis.
No need to guess. :)
What's the resistance between the two windings?
It should be 'no connection' aka infinite resistance if the transformer is disconnected from the circuit.
Are the transformer wires soldered into the circuit board or attached via screw terminal blocks? If via terminals, it would only take a minute to disconnect and test the transformer independent of the circuit board.

If C3 is having problems remove the entire heater elevation circuit; ie R3, R4 and C3. The heaters will still work. You also may now have a fair bit of hum. You would then know if that system is shorting B+ somehow.

Would be good if someone confirms if this is rational.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
No need to guess. :)
What's the resistance between the two windings?
It should be 'no connection' aka infinite resistance if the transformer is disconnected from the circuit.
Are the transformer wires soldered into the circuit board or attached via screw terminal blocks? If via terminals, it would only take a minute to disconnect and test the transformer independent of the circuit board.

Screw terminals.

I just tested resistance between the windings (red and green) all possible combinations thereof. All infinite resistance.

I actually performed the same test somewhere on some page of this thread, months ago.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just tested resistance between the yellow (5v rectifier filament winding) and the green (6.3v filament winding).

All combinations of yellow and green measure 0.3-0.4 ohms.

I don't know enough to determine whether that is an issue, but my gut tells me that should be infinite resistance, too.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
If C3 is having problems remove the entire heater elevation circuit; ie R3, R4 and C3. The heaters will still work. You also may now have a fair bit of hum. You would then know if that system is shorting B+ somehow.

Would be good if someone confirms if this is rational.

I know nothing about how this circuit works, so I'd be blindly following that guidance to remove components and then I wouldn't have a clue what the results meant or how to proceed from there. So I would have a board with missing components and be more confused.

As I said early on - any idiot can build this amp, but I am proof that not any idiot can fix it.

I am seriously contemplating pulling the board out and sending it to George for testing - if that offer is still on the table. I've been going in circles on this bloody thing for months.

What really grinds my gears is that the bloody thing worked perfectly for days, so I built it right to begin with.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
My gut is telling me that it is a power transformer issue. More specifically, a heat-induced short.

This would explain why the amp powers on normally and the B+ rises normally and levels out normally, and then after another minute or so, when the transformer begins to warm even slightly, bam! expansion triggers a short and current dumps through C3, heating it up and making my dim bulb tester glow brightly.

But I don't know a damned thing about any of this. I am relying solely on intuition.

My question now is; what other problem could cause the exact same normal start-up and then subsequent failure?

Last edited:
I know nothing about how this circuit works, so I'd be blindly following that guidance to remove components and then I wouldn't have a clue what the results meant or how to proceed from there. So I would have a board with missing components and be more confused.

In a previous post George ask you to lift one end of R4 and retry the bulb tester. This would cutoff B+ from C3 and determine if the problem was coming from elsewhere such as through the 6.3v heater cable. Maybe you already tried this?

I suggested removal of the whole heater elevation circuit as that better isolates the potential problem. Once operating I would then measure ac and dc voltage from the 6.3v heater to ground (on 1000v scale). Should not read any voltage. If you have a voltage then it is coming through your transformer (or less likely though a fault in the board). Do this fast since if you have high voltage on your heaters the tubes will not like it.

Could also just measure resistance of 6.3v heater to ground once C3, R3 and R4 removed (amp off) but will not tell you as much (but is much safer). Should be open circuit.

Not an expert so take the above advice with a grain of salt; although I would not hesitate to test my amp in this way (I have an SSE). And yes your board will be missing a few components for now but hopefully you will have an answer.

I just tested resistance between the yellow (5v rectifier filament winding) and the green (6.3v filament winding).

All combinations of yellow and green measure 0.3-0.4 ohms.

If you can get a reading other than infinity with one meter lead on a green wire, and one meter lead on a yellow wire, then you have found the problem!

These windings MUST be insulated from each other both inside and outside the transformer. Continuity here WILL cause exactly the problem discussed here, an exploded C3, by dumping full B+ onto a low voltage cap.

With the green leads disconnected from the board there should be an infinite resistance between them and ANYTHING else in the amp.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks George.

I just double-checked this. To be very specific

- green #1 to yellow #1 = 0.3 ohms
- green #1 to yellow #2 = 0.4 ohms (but then drops to 0.3 ohms eventually)
- green #2 to yellow #1 = 0.3 ohms
- green #2 to yellow #2 = 0.3 ohms

So my power transformer is toast? I guess I need to try to make a warranty claim at this point. This aught to be fun.

Thing is, they will likely just want to send a replacement and I don't think I want another Hammond in my amp.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Page 19, post #187, I tested this green to yellow continuity based on George's advice. At the time, I reported "infinite resistance".

There are two possibilities; 1) I may have had my multi-meter range set too high and misinterpreted the 0.00 as infinite, or 2) This is a compound problem and I subsequently fried my power transformer during testing.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So I have visited Hammond's site and read the warranty information. I am at a complete loss as to how I make a warranty claim based on that information.

I guess I'll have to give them a call on Monday.

I suppose it makes sense to remove the transformer from my amp at this point.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well, it looks like getting a Hammond replacement (whether under warranty or not) is basically my only option unless I want to pay through the nose for an Edcor.

The Edcor math for a Canadian = XPWR035 $77.96 + FedEx Ground $79.57 = $157.53 USD = $206.88 CAD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.