Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 10th December 2019, 09:52 PM   #21
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a couple more photos if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSE-II Checkout.jpg (647.1 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1299.JPG (917.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 11th December 2019, 12:27 AM   #22
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This brings up a question- the checkout procedure says to hook the speakers directly to the board and then connect a source and play music after the initial checkout.
It says "Connect a load to the amp, speakers or resistor." It says this after you have hooked up all three transformers, and a choke if used. You would connect your speakers or load resistor to the appropriate secondary of your OPT's.

Quote:
If I can play music directly off the board, why do I need output transformers?
You can't play music on most tube amps without an output transformer. The tubes work at high voltages and low currents. The speakers work at much lower voltages and fairly high current. The output transformer uses a fixed ratio conversion raising the Current and lowering the Voltage while keeping the Power constant (Watts).

It would be like trying to make a car without a transmission. The engine runs at thousands of RPM with a few hundred Ft/Lbs of torque. The wheels need hundreds of RPM and thousands of Ft/Lbs of torque. The gears in the transmission and differential perform a similar conversion raising the Torque and reducing the RPM while keeping the power constant.

Note that it's not a coincidence that 1 Horsepower = 746 watts.
Old 11th December 2019, 12:35 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Mr. Tubelab!

Tomorrow, this here TSE-II will be playing some sweet music.

After I get a potentiometer. Don't think the neighbors will appreciate even 1.5 - 2 watts through some Klipsch Cornwall speakers...
Old 11th December 2019, 07:35 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Here we are, ready to power up and play some music. Wired up a potentiometer and connected the OPTs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Checkout Final.jpg (150.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 12th December 2019, 05:59 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

She's all checked out and ready for assembly into a chassis! Sounds really good on my bts, highly used and abused Boston Acoustics speakers and 18 gage wire interconnects. I also removed the potentiometer and connect directly to a 3.5mm jack on the iPod and RCA jacks connected to the amp inputs. B+/- voltages are stable, bias amps are stable. I'll start working on the chassis this weekend, hope to finish next week.

Thank you to Tubelab for all the time and effort to design, manufacture and post information about the Tubelab amps. This is what DIY is all about!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Checked Out.jpg (853.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 31st December 2019, 01:39 AM   #26
picapiedra is offline picapiedra  Chile
diyAudio Member

Great job Duke, Klipsch and tubes are good friends.
Old 31st December 2019, 10:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Now I see why so many people like the 45 tubes. This amp sounds so nice...

It's kind of bad on my budget because now I'm going to build one of these boards for 300B tubes.
Old 31st December 2019, 11:14 PM   #28
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

Tubelab SE-II Checkout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
Thanks! Now I see why so many people like the 45 tubes. This amp sounds so nice...

It's kind of bad on my budget because now I'm going to build one of these boards for 300B tubes.
lol.

Yeah, I really like my 45 TSE. I was going to make a 300b amp, but decided to go 45 instead, but mine is a headphone amp and I don't need the extra power.
Old 4th January 2020, 02:04 PM   #29
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi.

I was searching, but had no luck finding which fuse to use for this amp. on primary hot side of the power transformator with 230vac (and 115vac for US users also)...

Thing is also that my variac is kindoff smalish, only rated at 0.7A/240vac, but i guess for checkout and powering up first time it will do

My build is the 300b version, powertransformer will be toroidal 250VA

Jesper.
Old 7th January 2020, 08:00 PM   #30
justmikey is offline justmikey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fuse size

I'm running on 120 vac in the US. My amp had blown a 1 amp fuse initially. I now have a 2 amp and it is operating fine. It probably draws somewhere between 1 and 2 amps at 120 vac. So I suppose at 240 vac, the current would be halved.

Tubelab SE-II CheckoutHide this!Advertise here!