Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 13th October 2019, 07:13 AM   #1
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

Which speakers are you using with your TSE?
Default Which speakers are you using with your TSE?

I'm starting a 300B build but don't have speakers yet.
I have a Frugal-Horn mk3 flat-pak which I originally planned on building with FE126En drivers but that project may take a while.
I like the looks of vintage Klipsch, JBL and Yamaha but never actually heard any.
I am very curious to hear peoples experiences with different speakers and the TSE. Both good and bad impressions welcome!
Old 14th October 2019, 01:17 AM   #2
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

In both of our houses, I use some newish floor standing Klipsch for their 96 dB sensitivity.

In my ham shack, I use a pair of small two way Yamaha, I think the low frequency driver is six or six and one half inch. Maybe 86-87 dB sensitivity, but the room is small enough that even the little 2A3 modified SSE can run me out of it.

I use some smallish indoor\outdoor Yamaha on the deck with a small push pull amp.

I'm not an audiophile, I just like tinkering with stuff ...
Old 14th October 2019, 08:40 PM   #3
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member

I will be building some Frugels at some point with Mark Audio drivers but I need to save up first

Currently using Loth-X Ion 1 BS which are 94dB and are more than capable of filling a midsize room (UK midsize) when coupled with an REL T-Zero sub.

Before I got the sub I had them hooked up to my Genesis II+ and the TSE didn't struggle to drive them except the bass didn't quite cut it for some music.
Old 17th October 2019, 06:44 PM   #4
OldHector is offline OldHector  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Would be interesting to hear which output transformers are being used as well, to see if their is a correlation.

I have toroidy OPTs and small canton bookshelf speakers (DC10), and it sounds great! I have only used Bluetooth and YouTube so far, till it goes into its new box, so I am dying to hear how an uncompressed source will sound.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:00 AM   #5
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

Which speakers are you using with your TSE?
FH3 will be a bit big for my small bedroom setup.
I'm thinking of building a Falcon Woden (Fostex FF105wk) in the meanwhile.
I'm also watching local listings for some Klipsch Forte II or Klipsch Quartet.... hoping something comes up
Old 18th October 2019, 05:27 PM   #6
kilokat7 is offline kilokat7  United States
diyAudio Member

My TSE is the first generation PCB and I'm using 45s with Electra Print OTs. My input source has been FLAC sent to a Chromecast Audio device from my phone. I don't consider myself an audiophile either. With that out of the way..

I have a big pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 towers that I purchased new during the 1990s. The sensitivity rating on these are 98 dB and they are known for their tight clean bass output. I've never needed a sub with these speakers using any system. The TSE drives them without any problems at comfortable levels in my family room with my phone's volume almost maxed out. Tons of tight clean bass when called for. I've been very impressed with how these speakers sound with the TSE.

Just last week I came across a vintage pair of Klipsch La Scalas (104 dB) that I've been trying out with the TSE. As expected, no issues whatsoever driving them with the TSE 45. I'm still dialing in their placement in the room but they are sounding phenomenal so far!
Old 28th October 2019, 01:20 AM   #7
boywonder is offline boywonder  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been listening to my TSE with Tang band W8-1772's in a bass reflex box for years......about 95db sensitivity.

Most of the time I've also got a 12" powered sub on with them...but they work quite well without the sub for solo acoustic stuff.......really happy with the setup.

My 300B TSE has James output transformers.
Old 28th October 2019, 05:38 AM   #8
Pooch is offline Pooch  United States
diyAudio Member

My TSE is a 45 version with UBT-2 transformers and I use DIY Soundgroup Tempests (which are no longer available. My wifes is a 300B version with Electra Print transformers powering Audionote DIY speakers. Both sound fantastic, each in their own way.
Old 28th October 2019, 01:10 PM   #9
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

The daily driver SSE in the home entertainment system is using the cheap 5 K 15 watt Edcor SSE open frame OPT, and 6AQ5 tubes.

The modified SSE in my ham shack is using some eBay 5/7K OPT and 2A3 tubes.

I ran my TSE with Hammond 125ESE. I keep meaning to swap these into my ham shack SSE, but never seem to get around to it.
Old 28th October 2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Every amp I build sees the most time on my Yamaha NS-10M Studio monitors. This primarily because I have owned those speakers for over 30 years and I know their sound.

The best sounding speakers for my 45 based TSE in my small 10 X 10 foot listening room / lab was the FH3's with some Planet 10 Enabled Fostex FE126E drivers. I had them on my workbench riser placed upside down to put the drivers at head level, so they were in a near field situation.

Now that I have moved and my lab is in a 2000 square foot basement with concrete walls, the 2 WPC TSE just doesn't cut it with any small speakers, so it's sitting idle on a shelf.

A TSE-II with some Chinese 2A3's in it, running on 380 volts of B+ was a pleasant surprise with the FH3's. It saw listening duty until I made the first UNSET.

For the last three months I have been abusing the only UNSET in existence, but fear that it's power might hurt the little drivers. I hook up the Yamahas or some thrift store Cerwin Vegas for loud stuff. The UNSET hits 30 WPC at clipping. Again the FH3's sound the best, but don't make the SPL of the other two.

I made a pair of EZ-10 horns with Audio Nirvana 10 inch FR drivers back in Florida. Unfortunately, I sold them because of the cost to move them. They are big. I think they would be a good fit here.

Last edited by Tubelab_com; 11th February 2020 at 12:57 AM.

Which speakers are you using with your TSE?Hide this!Advertise here!