• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Which speakers are you using with your TSE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Altec 414A/802D with JMLC horns. TL loaded Fostex 167E. Preamp (not shown) is Type 26 tube or Type 76 (JE Labs) full-function.

Since we are all sheltering in place out here in CA....I've been playing with other speakers. ...

Missed these... both beautifully made speakers!
Those look amazing and I sure sound just as good

I really dig your setup!
2 questions:
What is your source?
What kinda music are you playing?

For years my source has been a Sony DSP-7000 DVD player....I have two..one stock that I bought from Craigslist for $10 and another that I've modified. They were just used to listen to CDs.

Very recently I started using Daphile (music server)....first on a small Pentium Atom based single board computer, and subsequently now on a celeron based Intel NUC. Daphile is Free and was developed by a DIY audio member here, highly recommended. It's headless, so it sits on my home network and I access it by typing an IP address into a web browser on my laptop.

Daphile uses FLAC format; I've been ripping all of my CDs to FLAC, really easy to do with Daphile as well. Daphile is Linux based but you don't have to know anything about Linux to install it....You just make a bootable ISO image on a USB stick and either run it from the stick or load the image to a hard drive.

For music all kinds of stuff from Elvis Costello to Patty Griffin Lori McKenna Ani Difranco Andrew Bird....Art of Noise....Peter Gabriel.....little Feat ...lately lots of female vocalists....

Last edited:
Missed these... both beautifully made speakers!
Those look amazing and I sure sound just as good

Mine are just prototypes....since we are all holed-up at home I've been making lots of sawdust building and testing vented and sealed designs....getting closer to a final design.

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 209
  • speaker 2.jpg
    speaker 2.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 206
  • speaker 3.jpg
    speaker 3.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 188
For years my source has been a Sony DSP-7000 DVD player....I have two..one stock that I bought from Craigslist for $10 and another that I've modified. They were just used to listen to CDs.

Still have my 7000 but the damn thing is so big I ran out of space for it on the unit so it's in a drawer now. Problem is, it still plays well and I can bypass the internal dac and use it as a really nifty and accurate transport so I don't want to get rid of it. And that little door at the front..... :D:cool:

All my CD's got ripped to FLAC before we gave them away prior to the move back from the US. Any new additions get the same treatment and I just loaded my library to a Bluesound Node2i.

How things move on.

Still have my 7000 but the damn thing is so big I ran out of space for it on the unit so it's in a drawer now. Problem is, it still plays well and I can bypass the internal dac and use it as a really nifty and accurate transport so I don't want to get rid of it. And that little door at the front..... :D:cool:

All my CD's got ripped to FLAC before we gave them away prior to the move back from the US. Any new additions get the same treatment and I just loaded my library to a Bluesound Node2i.

How things move on.

Yup, the 7000s make great transports......I've been using an audio alchemy DAC that another member here sold to me not working for $6....never really figured out why he wanted $6..but anyway....he actually drove it by my work to drop it off too.

I now need a USB DAC, so I picked up a Topping D50s.....works great..and bluetooth too.

Yup, the 7000s make great transports......I've been using an audio alchemy DAC that another member here sold to me not working for $6....never really figured out why he wanted $6..but anyway....he actually drove it by my work to drop it off too.

I now need a USB DAC, so I picked up a Topping D50s.....works great..and bluetooth too.

I've the same DAC, Topping D50s listening with a Squeezebox Touch (old but very good) FLAC music from Synology NAS.

If we're on the topic of streamers, one of my completed projects is a Raspberry Pi streamer.
I use LMS (Logitech Media Server, same server as Squeezebox) on my main computer with all music ripped to FLAC.
The RaspberryPi runs piCorePlayer (headless client running squeezebox software).
Initially I used a HifiBerry DAC which was nice. I recently added an AMB gamma2 DAC module connected with i2s to the RPI.... I think this was a nice upgrade.
In the future I'll try out this setup with some USB based DACs.

The DAC and RPI run on separate regulated power supplies, and lastly I've added an LCD display showing the song info..
Overall very happy with this device

Attachments

• 2020-04-06 23.08.32.jpg
    2020-04-06 23.08.32.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 2020-04-06 22.58.49.jpg
    2020-04-06 22.58.49.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.