• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

300B SE OPT & Choke choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently built a Tubelab SE with 45's with ElectraPrint OPT's and sound is amazing.
I'm thinking about another TSE with 300B's and would like to try a different brand of OPT's (The EP's are wonderful, I simply want to try something else)

I'm specifically interested in ISO, Hashimoto or O'netics.
Looking for folks experience in any of the listed models below:

In the preferred budget, there is:
ISO FC-20S
Hashimoto HC-203U
O'netics Level 1

In the higher range there is:
ISO FC-30-3.5S-II
Hashimoto H-20-3.5U
O'netics Level 2.

Both offer similar chokes (10H @ 200mA, ~150R) in the ISO LC-10-200D-II and Hashimoto CC-10-200W.

Honestly this system is only going to be used occasionally so anything from the higher budget is pretty much overkill. Just listed them here in case anyone had direct experience with them.

itsikhefez,

Those are nice choices. No direct experience with any of those.

Have you considered One Electron from the US? They make nice output transformers with multiple secondary taps (4,8,16). They 2 models that can be used in a Tubleab SE-II - the UBT-3 (3k primary) and UBT-2 (5k primary). Pricing would be around 50% for what you would be paying for some the ones you listed.

Btw, is Onetics still making transformers?

For choke, Hammond 193J and 193J are two other options, and so is the Triad has C-14X (which is ugly, but cost effective; you can hide it under the chassis).

Last edited:
I have not considered the One Electrons for this amp. If my budget changes those and the Transcendars definitely look like good options.

Onetics are shut down as far as I know, but I contacted one of the distributors and they have remaining stock for 45/2A3/300B. The price would be between the One Electron's and one of the cheaper ISO/Hashimoto I listed.

Much has been said about the Hashimoto and older Tango/ISO-Tango that if I go with something else, I will always think "what if" and at some point try them anyway.

Alas, no. It appears they closed up shop a couple of years ago, which is a real shame because they filled a real gap between the pricey-but-good and the cheap-but-mediocre. And they were potted to boot. I never got the chance to use their power transformers, but their OPTs were great.

Last edited:
Alas, no. It appears they closed up shop a couple of years ago
James is not out of business. I received an email from James (JIANSHIN ELECTRONICS CO) yesterday saying they are currently producing but have 0 stock and would get back to me when available.

I’ve been a fan of the Js-6123hs Universal output transformers after building Pete Milletts E-linear amp. I found them comparable in looks and sound to the Tango universals I owned.

Last edited:
Thanks for setting me straight. Excellent news! I was under the impression they'd stopped production since the only US distributor (tctubes) hasn't updated their stock in ~3 years or so, and various international sites seemed to believe they were no longer in business.

I've long been a fan of their products, as they seem to strike a good balance between performance, price and overall finish.

Thanks for setting me straight. Excellent news! I was under the impression they'd stopped production since the only US distributor (tctubes) hasn't updated their stock in ~3 years or so, and various international sites seemed to believe they were no longer in business.
It would be nice if TC stocked them again. These transformers have always been tough to source.

My friend in Taiwan lugged 4 pairs back on a plane for me early this year. Shipping from Asia to North America adds a lot to the overall cost. These were from a small repair shop that went out of business, likely the last ones manufactured in a few years.

Hi all,

I recently built a Tubelab SE with 45's with ElectraPrint OPT's and sound is amazing.
I'm thinking about another TSE with 300B's and would like to try a different brand of OPT's (The EP's are wonderful, I simply want to try something else)

I'm specifically interested in ISO, Hashimoto or O'netics.
Looking for folks experience in any of the listed models below:

In the preferred budget, there is:
ISO FC-20S
Hashimoto HC-203U
O'netics Level 1

In the higher range there is:
ISO FC-30-3.5S-II
Hashimoto H-20-3.5U
O'netics Level 2.

Both offer similar chokes (10H @ 200mA, ~150R) in the ISO LC-10-200D-II and Hashimoto CC-10-200W.

Honestly this system is only going to be used occasionally so anything from the higher budget is pretty much overkill. Just listed them here in case anyone had direct experience with them.

Can you please tell me where you bought the ElectraPrint OPTs used for your 45 amp? Where to buy and part number?

Thanks!

Cargo is here.. feels solid.

Attachments

• 2019-10-16 19.03.57.jpg
    2019-10-16 19.03.57.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 2019-10-16 19.04.53.jpg
    2019-10-16 19.04.53.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 443
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.