• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

First ever SSE build....waiting for transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4TcCiOs.jpg

SXh6o1O.jpg

So I was inspired by the ridiculous efficiency of my Klipsch La Scala's to start my first amp project ever. Chose the SSE because I'm very much a beginner and didn't feel like burning the house down quite yet.

Building the enclosure was probably the most satisfying thing so far, I went with solid maple for the sides and a "sun bleached" stain on the russian birch top panel with an acrylic clear coat.

I've got the preliminary wiring done and now I just wait for Edcor to wire up my transformers. I ordered spare end bells that will be painted the same gloss white as the toggle switch panel.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The choke and motor run cap will be inside, only the power and output transformers will be on top. The switches are for ultra linear, feedback and ss/tube rectifier operation and the smaller knob is an input selector switch.

Full gallery is here

I don't think he built that case with stone knives and bearskins though. Nice job!

I'm nearing the completion of a TSE-II in which I did the same as you with the transformers (choke inside the case). This was driven mainly by the size of my case (12" x 12" x 4"). I've had absolutely no hum issues this far; it's dead silent.

You're gonna love it with the La Scalas!

Attachments

• Stone Knives.png
    Stone Knives.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 254
I don't think he built that case with stone knives and bearskins though. Nice job!

I'm nearing the completion of a TSE-II in which I did the same as you with the transformers (choke inside the case). This was driven mainly by the size of my case (12" x 12" x 4"). I've had absolutely no hum issues this far; it's dead silent.

You're gonna love it with the La Scalas!

No stone knives or bearskins but a chisel did make an appearance when making the square hole for the power switch. Everything else was reasonably modern.

I do have a quick question for anyone that has built on this board though, I feel like I'm missing something from the instructions because I have no idea what goes in D3, D4 or TR1.

D3 and D4 can be 1N4007 or UF4007. TR1 should be a CL140 thermistor.

As stated these parts were added to help out the rectifier tube at start up, at a time (2010) when all off the current production tube makers were turning out batches of poorly constructed tubes. Sometimes it would take two or even three tubes to find one that didn't spark out on initial power up. After a good one was found, it would live for years.

The parts can be replaced with a wire jumper if needed, but they do add to rectifier tube reliability, so their use is a good idea.

Diodes arrived as well as the thermistor, so now it's just waiting on the transformers. Thanks everyone for the help on those.

Also, I got a call from my uncle when he heard I was building this thing and got my first delivery of boxes of old tubes from a family friend's estate who was an electronics repairman. So far mostly tv tubes and sorting has been a challenge but found a pair of 45's, some very cool looking 6CD6G's, piles of signal tubes like 7au7's, 6bz7, 6cg7 and some 12ax7's. Half dozen 5u4gb's so I should be good for rectifiers for the next few projects.

One cool thing was 7 boxed 6af6g magic eye tubes, which are making me want the next thing I put together to have VU meters made out of them.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A little update, I've got it wired up in the simple triode mode so the switches are currently for show and it sounds great. Going to enjoy it for a little while then wire up the feedback and UL switches. I've got it feeding a pair of Klipsch La Scalas with ALK crossovers and with the 6L6GC's half volume is enough to clear out a room. Super happy with it so far.

Was planning on doing white painted end bells but honestly the stock blue edcor look is growing on me.

ssoSV7h.jpg

aeKbg1K.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.