• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

UNSET is coming?

In the case of the UNSET, I already have a working board for the "all in one" case. It would require minimal if any clean up to be production ready. It's just not the 40 WPC SE amp that some may think it is since I have been squeezing 40 WPC out of it.

Hey George,

I'm in for an "all in one" 15W board. I've got 15W Edcor OPT's that are collecting dust waiting for a project, so this could be it.

Don't really care what the PCB color is, as long as it isn't yellow.:)

jeff

Hi George,
Good to see you back, all the best for you and your family.
Reading back this thread and looking at the photos, my main concern is how to put it in (on?) a case.
I'm really a traditional "toobs 'n' trannies on top, rest below deck" kind a person.
With hot silicon and towering heatsinks on a board next to the tubes, it must all be on top, with a cage around it?
In such a case, black boards would be best.
Anyways, I was thinking lately to redo my old 'accept any octal' amp and a compact UNSET stereo setup would be perfect. Within reasonable idle dissipation, 15W out is plenty.
I'll take a second board of course, to go beyond reasonable dissipation levels. PL519 can take abuse and then there is of course the 813...
At a later stage, a (P)PP version could be a good option to finally use those 500VA power trannies I have waiting on the shelf for over two decades. Would that be several (single) power stages coupled with a UD?
Relative simple boards I guess, just part of an UNSET board?

Hi George,
Good to see you back, all the best for you and your family.
Reading back this thread and looking at the photos, my main concern is how to put it in (on?) a case.
I'm really a traditional "toobs 'n' trannies on top, rest below deck" kind a person.
With hot silicon and towering heatsinks on a board next to the tubes, it must all be on top, with a cage around it?

All of the heat sinked silicon has dual footprints so they can be mounted on either side of the board. Put the tube sockets on the top side, and all the other parts on the bottom. The TSE-II is the same way, and I have built them both ways. I prefer all the parts on top for initial builds since I'm working on them live with no chassis.

If I get to the point of creating a modular design there would be a new driver board that uses the UNSET technology, a single pentode in a triode emulation configuration (not simply triode wired). If the output boards have the mosfets mounted on them, then either the new driver board, or the UD could be used to drive them.

Update

All TSE-II and SPP boards are gone.

Update to the update.

My last communication with the US PC board vendor was a phone call 11 days ago. They promised to figure out what happened to my SPP board order and call me right back. The next day I got an email saying that my boards would ship in 5 or 6 days. No further communication.

This afternoon I get a text alert from Fedex informing me of a package picked up today in the Chicago area. Scheduled for delivery on Monday. It can only be the SPP boards. The question of the day is why did it go from Chicago to Greensboro North Carolina. They overshot me by about 500 miles.

15 watts is plenty of UNSET power for my needs right now; I would also like to buy one of the existing UNSET board design if you decide you want / need to do a small test run of them through the Chinese pcb fab.

I bought a few 250 volt 6 amp PFET's ( FQPF9P25 ) last summer from Mouser, and I'm guessing they were to start an UNSET build. I can't think of any other reason I would have bought them.

SSE Board Inventory? Inventory STICKY?

Update

All TSE-II and SPP boards are gone.

Update to the update.

My last communication with the US PC board vendor was a phone call 11 days ago. They promised to figure out what happened to my SPP board order and call me right back. The next day I got an email saying that my boards would ship in 5 or 6 days. No further communication.

This afternoon I get a text alert from Fedex informing me of a package picked up today in the Chicago area. Scheduled for delivery on Monday. It can only be the SPP boards. The question of the day is why did it go from Chicago to Greensboro North Carolina. They overshot me by about 500 miles.

Damn. I mean DARN.

(a) George, you said earlier that you had a "lifetime supply" of SSE boards. Do I remember that correctly? If so, we should all order a few, if only to keep the wolves from the TubeLab door.

I myself need to augment my supply, as my remaining inventory is the original SSE board....

(b) BTW Could y'all make a STICKY on the TubeLab forum with an updated board inventory and ordering instructions?
It would make things easier for the folks...and it is a "commercial area" after all.

(c) As usual, I agree with W5JAG; 15 watts UNSET is PLENTY.

That's effectively an EL84 P-P amp (Heathkit, DYNACO, Eico, Knight, take your pick) with an SE topology (although admittedly hybrid, although I think we're mostly past that; besides, who's gonna know? It's GLOWING ain't it?)`

For that matter, I would what CCS on the driver tube in one of those old EL84 circuits would sound like...I think I have four of 'em in various states of disrepair...

Dear George,

I would be happy to contribute to all your help buying a set of UNSET.
I'm working on an implementation of your idea to have local feedback plus a pMosfet on the bottom of the tube to drive it ( Chinese Single Ended 12AX7+EL34: improvements? ).

Am I correct assuming that with high current (so working in an area with low a-k voltage) and the higher the local feedback ratio (so the higher the drain-source voltage), the higher is the power we can get from the amp using the same output tube, because we get more power from the pMosfet? An higher anode-to-grid ratio can also permit to work with lower loadlines because internal resistance goes down and compensate for the DF. Drawback is that it is needed to increase the swing of the driver (that's why I went to Rod Colemans' shunt driver).

How do you search the optimal working point in this configuration?

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards

Roberto

Any news, George?
"The World Wonders" (Chester Nimitz reference)

Also, do you have "new" SSE boards in stock? Ref: "lifetime supply"?

PS FEDEX must have a hub in Greensboro, although I thought their biggest hub was in Nashville, which at least wouldn't have an overshoot.
Their computador must have been confused.

As expected, Fedex fumbled the ball. An order from the Vitamin Shoppe that was scheduled for delivery on Sunday did not arrive on Sunday. The SPP boards were "out for delivery" on Monday but at about 9:30 in the morning I got a phone call from Fedex stating that the package had arrived at their facility after the delivery truck for my area had left.

I could drive to their place (17 miles away) or wait until Tuesday. Later the tracking the boards changed to "delivery attempt failed, customer not available." UH, I was outside working in the yard all day, and Sherri was inside all day. Somehow this "delivery attempt" occurred here at 12:04 PM, but the package could be picked up at their facility any time after 12:05 PM. How could the package be at my house at 12:04 PM and be available at their facility north of Wheeling at 12:05 PM. That's a distance of 17 miles, Google drive time of 26 minutes.

Both deliveries came yesterday in two different Fedex trucks, one from Wheeling, and one from 60 miles away in Ohio.

So I now have plenty of the current SSE boards, SPP's, and UD boards. The TSE-II's are still being made.

There have been only two versions of the SSE, the original without the diodes and current limiter, and the current version which happened in 2010. There was only one version of the original TSE board, SPP board, and UD board. No revisions of them were ever needed.

My "lifetime supply" estimate of SSE's might have been a little overstated. It was based on nearly zero sales (5 boards this year until this week, 10 total for the last half of 2020). In a typical year I sell 60 to 80 SSE's. last year it was 31. I have over 100.

Four SSE's went out this morning, and two last week, so maybe I have 2 - 3 years worth. I'll be over 70 years old then, if I'm still in business then, I'll simply order more. There have only been three instances where I have run out of boards. All were supplier related.

I doubt that I will get any more boards from them. These SPP's cost me almost $15 each since my order quantity keeps going down.

Update: The TSE-II boards are "awaiting DHL pickup" in China. DHL does not normally deliver here, but for almost $100 shipping they better this time!

Last edited:
CrowdSourcing! Getcher TubeLab Boards Ratcheer.

George: I ordered 6 each UD boards* and 2 each "new" SSE boards.
Please check the PayPal to be sure my maths are correct.

At my current (retirement) build rate, that's probably only a 3-4 month supply.

I would encourage the TubeLab Legions that can afford it to beef-up their PCB stocks, and deplete George's, if only so that Miss Sherri knows we still love the guy. It's a tiny price to pay for the education alone, let alone the entertaining trips to the ER.

Besides, this was only equivalent to a typical weekly trip to Lowe's or HD (houses in Houston require a lot of "upkeep", not to mention the HoneyDo list that suddenly appeared the day after my forced retirement, plus the bee hive construction...)

Plus, I have never LOST money when selling a completed TubeLab amp.
I can even pay myself a healthy Minimum Wage (circa 1969).

*When I think about what I'm planning for the UD boards, my pinkie finger involuntarily goes to the corner of my mouth, ala Doctor Evil. "One MILLION WATTS..."

George: I ordered 6 each UD boards* and 2 each "new" SSE boards. Please check the PayPal to be sure my maths are correct.

All is good. The boards will be mailed tomorrow. I emailed you the tracking number.

Besides, this was only equivalent to a typical weekly trip to Lowe's or HD... not to mention the HoneyDo list that suddenly appeared the day after my forced retirement.

We will be making our once or twice a month trip to Pittsburgh to hit the stores that we don't have here, Sams Club, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, the HD and or Lowes, but wait, there's more....They recently opened a Menards on our route....it's like a Lowes and a Walmart had a kid. The HoneyDo list is probably as long as my life expectancy. The current project is a new deck in the back yard. One of the small parts of that build includes getting power outside for a possible pool. That cable bundle goes to the existing shed, so it includes some extra cables for some ham radio antennas, and a TV antenna for the single station we might get here, and an antenna for a cellular booster, and......

Forced retirement.....In my case it was a letter from the CEO that said take the money and leave, or take the boot print on your butt and leave. I chose money, most did not. Most regret that choice. Out of 5000 people in its heyday, there are about 250 left.

My first clue was the CEO calling for a meeting of everybody in the plant, about 2000 at the time. He made it clear "on his word" that the facility was NOT for sale (a persistent rumor). I made a phone call to a friend in the Chicago HQ, who told me that the CEO spoke the truth, the building was NOT for sale, it had already been sold. He told me just where to find the article in the Chicago Tribune's business section.

I can even pay myself a healthy Minimum Wage (circa 1969).

I was working in a TV repair shop then. MW was $1.05 an hour....now they want $15. Can you spell inflation?

*When I think about what I'm planning for the UD boards, my pinkie finger involuntarily goes to the corner of my mouth, ala Doctor Evil. "One MILLION WATTS..."

I have been contemplating a kilowatt, 500 WPC for about 10 years. I need to build it before I get too old to move it. I have had the OPT's for at least 10 years.

From the map of the Northern panhandle of WV, I figured y’all had to be trekking to Pittsburgh every so often. I worked for a subsidiary of US Steel for a decade, so got to know P’burgh pretty well. Even went to Three Rivers Stadium a couple times, RIP, gone but not lamented.

Never been in a Menard’s but every time I search for obscure building supplies, Menard’s comes up, and with excellent prices. Insane with jealousy.

Re: Upper Management
If you have one of those top-ten MBAs, outright LYING is called “parsing the truth”. That’s what 2 years and six figures of tuition gets you.

In my case, I saw it coming, and was taking the very last of my “personal days” when I was laid off over the phone by a close colleague reading from a lawyerly script. That was April 15. On April 25th I turned 67, and on Sunday the 26th the company declared Chapter 11(!).
Yup, you can do that on a Sunday.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
All is good. The boards will be mailed tomorrow. I emailed you the tracking number.

We will be making our once or twice a month trip to Pittsburgh to hit the stores that we don't have here, Sams Club, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, the HD and or Lowes, but wait, there's more....They recently opened a Menards on our route....it's like a Lowes and a Walmart had a kid. The HoneyDo list is probably as long as my life expectancy. The current project is a new deck in the back yard. One of the small parts of that build includes getting power outside for a possible pool. That cable bundle goes to the existing shed, so it includes some extra cables for some ham radio antennas, and a TV antenna for the single station we might get here, and an antenna for a cellular booster, and......

Forced retirement.....In my case it was a letter from the CEO that said take the money and leave, or take the boot print on your butt and leave. I chose money, most did not. Most regret that choice. Out of 5000 people in its heyday, there are about 250 left.

My first clue was the CEO calling for a meeting of everybody in the plant, about 2000 at the time. He made it clear "on his word" that the facility was NOT for sale (a persistent rumor). I made a phone call to a friend in the Chicago HQ, who told me that the CEO spoke the truth, the building was NOT for sale, it had already been sold. He told me just where to find the article in the Chicago Tribune's business section.

I was working in a TV repair shop then. MW was $1.05 an hour....now they want $15. Can you spell inflation?

I have been contemplating a kilowatt, 500 WPC for about 10 years. I need to build it before I get too old to move it. I have had the OPT's for at least 10 years.

Tubelab,

Please focus. George, your post is all about other things. We need discipline here!

Last edited: