Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 19th July 2019, 10:45 AM   #21
DanHat is offline DanHat  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the term "chuffing heavy". I call my sse the "hernia amp". I just had a suggestion for an enclosure. I used a "PESANTE 4U" from diyaudiostore.com. I got the optional bottom plate and all vent top cover. It has worked great for me. There is plenty of room for transformers and chokes. It does not flex at all from all the weight of the said transformers etc. They come from italy so shipping should be cheaper for you. The valves are totally enclosed. Some may not like that idea but it made my wife happy. She was not comfortable with hot parts hanging out in the breeze. I find I fiddle less with rolling tubes and just turn it on and listen to the music.
Old 19th July 2019, 03:10 PM   #22
colnago55 is offline colnago55  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmattyboy View Post
That was the diagram I used and I have triple checked against it and my wiring looked ok to me.

When you say " centre wire " is that the red and orange wires on the diagram?

Are the pots directional? Could I of soldered it in upside down compared to the Tubelab diagram?

Thanks

Matt
Yes, if you wire it upside down, it won't work. (There is a note on the diagram that says "top view", so it's confusing.)

Yes, the red and the orange wires on the tubelab diaqram go to the center on the rca jack.

Good luck.
Old 19th July 2019, 03:21 PM   #23
flyingmattyboy is offline flyingmattyboy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That is a little confusing, so I think mine is upside down then. I hope thats what it is.... will rewire and let you know soon. Thanks all.

Matt
Old 19th July 2019, 03:52 PM   #24
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

For a pot, the center is the wiper, which would be the output of it, which would need to go to the input of your amp.
Looking at the pot from the front, left pin should be the RCA input into the amp, and right should be ground.
When pot is turned all the way down, center/wiper is zero (or very close to zero) ohms to ground, and max ohms to RCA input.
At max volume, its the reverse, zero ohms to input and max to ground.

Hope this helps.
Really doesn't sound like a connection problem.

Randy
Old 19th July 2019, 05:14 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Cheers Randy & Colnnago

I in soldered it turned it upside down & re soldered it. It works a treat.
It was upside down.

Thanks both. When I mount the traffo 's does it matter if both Output transformers are invthe same orientation. I am struggling to get a layout on my hammond box that looks good and has them mounted at 90 degrees of each other. The choke and power traffo would be at 90 degrees to them both though

Matt
Old 19th July 2019, 05:32 PM   #26
debije is offline debije  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Output transformers can go in the same direction. I now also have a hammond power transformer on mine because of a noisy power transformer I had on there before. Unfortunately these are not ideal for countries that have 230V mains. At 240V setting it is quiet, at 230V setting it is noisy as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190719_192243.jpg (857.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 21st July 2019, 02:42 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Wired in CFB, UL & Rectifier IC's. Plus clarity cap suplimental cap. This is sounding awesome now. I am surprised that the 5ar4 glows when it is switched to solid state though. I prefer the sound of the valve rectifier I think. Just got to build it into my hammond walnut enclosure now. I might wire dual inputs too.

Matt
Old 21st July 2019, 05:18 PM   #28
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am surprised that the 5ar4 glows when it is switched to solid state though
Turning off the heater voltage to the 5AR4 would involve finding a switch that can work with 400+ volts on it. Not a simple task. The 5AR4 remains in the circuit, it just gets bypassed with the silicon diodes when the switch turned on. The diodes are the easiest path, so that's where most of the current flows. If you want to test a pure silicon path, pull the 5AR4 then test the diode path.

Quote:
I prefer the sound of the valve rectifier I think.
Most builders do too. The silicon path helps when you need every last milliwatt of power, and the music benefits from the extra voltage.
Old 21st July 2019, 08:39 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tubelab. I tried without the 5ar4 in and using rectifiers all works fine. Prefer non ultralinear, rectification through the 5ar4, with CFB switched in, so far. The suplimental cap definately tightens things up too.

I wonder why the advise is to get double pole on off on switches Forv the UL and CFB. I have wired mine as in the diagram but onlyused 3 connectors on one the swiches.

Matt
Old 21st July 2019, 09:13 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Just checked the diagram again and realised that I have only wired up my left channel to UL. I wondered why it was a DP switch. Will do this tomorrow. Need to work out off the 1628sea seen the correct polarity too. I read some where that if it is correct polarity it will get quieter when CFB is switched. Do I Need to power down to operate CFB or can I switch over when its running. Does anyone know if the1628sea is the correct polarity. There is supposedto be a table some where but I haven't found it yet.

Matt

Matts Tubelab SEEHide this!Advertise here!