• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE loses bias after about 2 minutes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are referring to U1? What could cause it to overheat in 2 min.? All the voltages check out, right up to the time it cuts out, the 5842s stay in check, B+ jumps to about 440V. I presume the B+ is jumping because the 300Bs are dropping out. Thanks for the help, this is my wife's amp and she's a little testy with me right now:)

My last post was done while I was a passenger in a car going 70 MPH down I-95 on my phone. That's why it was rather short.

Your symptoms are exactly the same as a regulator shutting down. The filaments in the output tubes lose power causing the tube to stop conducting. This causes the plate voltage to rise.

Try pointing a small fan directly at the heat sink to see if it fixes the problem. If so make some improvements in the heat sink, or airflow around it.

My experience with 300B's showed that a single small heat sink could be adequate in some situations, while a large heat sink pirated off the CPU in an old PC was marginal. It all depends on the airflow around it.

The Sharp regulator used in the TSE has a thermal shutdown feature to protect it, but there is considerable variation between chips as to how hot they get before shutting off. Usually they are all too hot to touch when they shut off though.

Thanks George...and to others. I bought a new heatsink that should do the trick, and some thermal paste, too. I don't think I used any paste the first time around. I'll try a fan, too. I've got one of those Harbor freight thermal guns, I'll see what temp it shuts off at.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.