• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Setting up a voltage regulator on SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to set up a neurochrome voltage regulator on my SSE.

I'll be setting it for 440V, it gives me a 10% adjustment so I figure that'll allow me to go up to about 460 and down to 420V. I have to fill in a number of parameters, into an excel chart, to determine some component values that'll get me to 440V. Problem is I'm not sure about a couple of them...

Peak output current (mA) - ?
Average output current (mA) - ?

I have other tubes but I run my amp with KT88's in ultralinear almost all the time. I'm not sure if that's important...

Thanks
Glenn

Attachments

• Simple_SE_Amp_Sch_11-08.jpg
    Simple_SE_Amp_Sch_11-08.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 177
Here's a couple of other things I've tried to give this circuit a chance to shine...

At first I'd used 1% metal film resistors, I then read in a post where George explains that R12 and 22 should be carbon comp. So I changed them and noticed that the overly bright high end went away and the amp sounded more linear.

I then bypassed C12 and 22 with a ClarityCap 5.6uF film cap. At least I think that's what it's called. I ran a low value film cap in parallel with a much higher value electrolytic capacitor. I remember reading in one post where George said that if you were going to try that he recommended a value between 1 and 10 uF. I noticed an improvement in the amp. Seemed like there was more detail.

I then did the same thing with C10 and 20. This time I used a 4.7 uF Obligatto Film Oil can. It was a little large but it came with long leads and cost $7 (I got it on sale for $5!) This also improved the sound.

When I say there was an improvement, I listened to the amp after working on it for an hour or so. I know what I did, was hoping for an improvement and heard it! So you can take my comments with a grain silo of salt if you wish...

Here's what I want to do....

Voltage regulated power.

Regulated DC on the filaments. Done that, just need to clear some real estate on the amp to get the board and transformer for 6.3V DC. When I get the voltage regulator up and running I can remove the choke and the run motor capacitor.

Balanced XLR inputs.

I can't think of anything else, but I'm all ears if anyone else has suggestions...!

There's one last thing I did. Here's a quote from George responding to a builder who was thinking about removing capacitors...

"Removing the bypass cap completely causes a significant reduction in gain and doesn't help the sound much, if at all. There is no harm in trying it, your results may be different. Adding a resistor in series with the cap can smooth out any ripple caused by imperfections in the cap. As the resistor value is increased, the gain drops, and the "smoothing" effect increases. I think I had 33 ohms in my amp for a while."

I put a 33 ohm resistor in series with the cap. Thing is I did it at the same time as I bypassed C10 & 20 so I can't say if it would make a difference alone. Together they did.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.