• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

A good low-wattage SSE config

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As odd as it may sound, I'd like to configure my SSE (close to being finished) for about 3 to 5 watts per channel. I have very efficiency, single-driver horns, and I don't play at high volumes.

Maybe I could get some help reading the Computer Simulations tables. Would it really be as simple as using a power transformer that made around 400v B+, or are there components I would need to change? I plan on using EL34's.

Thanks, and sorry, I'm still learning about all of this tube amp stuff.

David

This may sound counter-intuitive.... But, Build it exaclty as described on the Tubelab site.

And simply use the volume control. Having 7-8 watts will actually be a benefit even if you only use 0.5 watts. You will have more headroom and less chance of clipping. You can even use a 1000 watt amp with speakers rated for 1-2 watts. The effect will be that it will never clip.

Of course the noise level of 1000 watt amps may not be quiet enough for such drivers.

However, the SSE, when properly setup, will be silent, linear, have great frequency response, and produce wonderful music.

You could always use lower B+ and 6V6GT or 6K6GT tubes and make a lower power version. But again, the extra headroom and better damping will NOT be a negative trait of the normal configuration.

Would it really be as simple as using a power transformer that made around 400v B+

That's pretty much it. Dropping the B+ from 440 to 400 volts won't require any other changes. You may need to lower the cathode resistors on the EL34's a bit if your particular set of tubes don't draw enough current.

I had an SSE that runs on 325 volts using triode wired 6V6's. It made a nice sounding 2 WPC.

If you drop the B+ below 350 volts you need to replace the 10K resistors in the drain leads of the 10M45 chips with a piece of wire. Those chips sound best with plenty of voltage across them. The 10K resistor is used to reduce heat when the chip would see over 400 volts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.