• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Quick check for alternative part

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 2SK2700 went extinct when ROHS appeared, as did other low volume parts. The 2SK3563 was a good substitute at the time. As years passed better parts came and went. It seems that a discrete part like a mosfet will vanish from the market if it doesn't find a million unit sales volume slot doesn't appear within a year or two.

My current favorite part is the on Semiconductor NDF02N60Z, but it went extinct a couple of years ago, and vanished. The NDF04N60Z is almost as good, and far better than the 2SK3563, but it has been placed on the endangered species list. Last time I looked Mouser still had a few thousand.

Yes, my current favorite mosfet IS obsolete, and has been for almost 2 years. mouser still has some, and so do I, so I haven't had the time or cash to buy a bunch of fets and try them. Once I get the TSE redesign board up to the "buy a bunch of parts and build a few" stage, I'll look for some new fets.

There are dozens of useful parts that should work well on paper. Some just want to oscillate, especially when connected to a high GM tube like the 5842. I also try to find fets with an isolated case to avoid shocking experiences on the heat sinks when poking around in a live board. For now:

NDF04N60ZG-001 ON Semiconductor | Mouser

Thanks for all the input, I ordered a few extra of the Toshiba suggested replacement so hopefully it does the job and I have some backup.

George, I sent you an email about a TSE board and an extra PQ5EV5 but I figured I would check that link you provided to see if that guy will ship a few to the UK. He won't but if he'll ship to my mate in NJ then I'll leave the boards and PQ5EV5's you have to others (I already have one spare or maybe even two spare SE boards). I'll let you know if I still need your board, hopefully before you get home from your trip.

Just realised I still have an SSE board too! Future project :)

That part comes in three different packages. Two are already gone. Your link leads to the TO220 part with the exposed metal tab, extinct.

My link leads to the plastic coated part which has a lower dissipation rating, but does not need insulation. 300+ in stock.

Any of these will work in the TSE or other "PowerDrive" applications that dissipate a few watts.

I have bought the mosfet TK5A50D, I have read in some place that this mosfet is the replacement of the 2SK3563 provided by Toshiba.

I´m right?, I don't know if I can use the TK5A50D for replace 2SK3563 in the TSE pcb.

What do you think?

I have a 45 tubed SE running with those - they work, but I don't know how well as I have nothing to compare the sound against and nothing that I can analyse the signal for any nasties with.

Thanks for all the input, I ordered a few extra of the Toshiba suggested replacement so hopefully it does the job and I have some backup.

George, I sent you an email about a TSE board and an extra PQ5EV5 but I figured I would check that link you provided to see if that guy will ship a few to the UK. He won't but if he'll ship to my mate in NJ then I'll leave the boards and PQ5EV5's you have to others (I already have one spare or maybe even two spare SE boards). I'll let you know if I still need your board, hopefully before you get home from your trip.

Just realised I still have an SSE board too! Future project :)

George,

So I managed to get 4 of the PQ5EV5's shipped to a friend in NJ who is shipping them on. Hopefully that all works out. I won't be needing another TSE board as I confirmed I do have two spares though both are partly populated from my early attempts at a build :)

Looking forward to seeing the SE replacement board you are working on :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.