• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DPDT for amp switching - SimpleSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the answer is obvious - “yes it’s OK” but I want to check to be sure.

My HiFi setup consists of:

SimpleSE to Pensil 10.2 speakers AND
AKSA 55N+ to Vandersteen model 2 speakers.

Both amp/speaker combos have their strengths and weaknesses, but their own characteristics and I use them interchangeably. However, I am not inclined to swap speakers on them.

For sources, I use a Rega P2 with Hagtech Cornet2 preamp; Rega Apollo for CD’s. I switch sources using a DIY passive preamp/volume

When I switch between amp setups, I simply unplug the output from my preamp and plug it into whatever, amp/speaker combo, I want to use.

But.... I’d like to avoid all the plugging and unplugging that occurs between passive-pre and amp. I have a small spare DPDT that I was thinking installing into my passive preamp such that:

the unused amp is totally disconnected from the source (this is essentially what happens with it is unplugged). I don’t know if the switch is make-before-break, but I would select the amp prior to powering-on anyway.

Am I missing something critical?

Thanks,
Charlie

Joined 2011
I have a small spare DPDT that I was thinking installing into my passive
preamp such that: the unused amp is totally disconnected from the source

Should be ok, With only a single DPDT switch, the grounds will
all have to be permanently connected.

Unused amp inputs should be shorted whenever the unused amp
is powered on, but you won't be doing that.

Last edited:
I see no reason that a switch, or even some small signal relays couldn't be used. If the system is set up woth no ground loops, keeping all the signal grounds connected shouldn't be a problem.

At one time my system in Florida had an EMU 1820 USB sound module with about 8 inputs PLUS a phono stage. Any pair of inputs could be routed to the main or headphone outputs, or any combination could be mixed fader style to the outputs via a Windows application. This got anything and everything from my vinyl to my electric guitar to one output pair. It also allowed transcribing vinyl in up to 24/192. I used 24/96.

I simply made a little box with some mosfet buffers to turn that single output pair to several, with a different amp plugged into each output all the time.

Speaker switching was done with automotive power relays.

That all went away when Creative decided to obsolete my $500 sound module by refusing to offer drivers for Vista or XP. I got it to work somehow on Vista, but Vista sucked, and I moved to XP, but no luck with the EMU......Haven't bought a Creative product since.

Thanks for the replies, I realized that I don’t have enough spare cable for interconnects, so when I order that (and rca plugs), I can order a 3pdt switch at the same time.

If I can’t find a decent one, I’ll simply use the dpdt one that I have already.

It makes sense that connected grounds should not matter. The AKSA has a starground as part of it’s PSU, the SimpleSE is built according to George’s fine instructions. The phone preamp was built and wired according to what was recommended by HagTech.

Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.