• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE problem: A little smoke, a blown fuse, low B-

A little smoke and a blown fuse, low B-

I built a TSE 300B for my adult son a couple of years ago. He and his girlfriend seem to have a habit of turning it on and off without waiting for it to cool off. (I replaced the fuse once before.) He says before it stopped working, he smelled something and then it blew a fuse. The amp has a CL-90 in it, but I’m thinking the quick on-off-on was the cause of the problem.

I replaced the fuse and put in the tubes and started it up; one of the bias meters went to zero while the other was pinned and then the fuse blew.

I took it apart and looked at the circuit board and didn’t see any problems.

Next, with only the rectifier tube and the 5842’s in place I got a B+ of over 400 and a B- of 170 and then after a minute some smoke. This time I checked and the solder around R25(36K, 3W) was burned off.

Am I correct in assuming that the problem is the low B- and that the either D2 or D3 (FRED’s) are bad?

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks, Jacques

Attachments

• TSE Schematic.pdf
    70.7 KB · Views: 117
I've replaced the mosfet and R25 and am still seeing the solder bubbling and smoking at R25. Any other "usual suspects"? When I measure the two mosfets on the board with my ohmmeter they read differently. Could there be something else in the circuit that could cause this?

Thanks.