Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 4th March 2020, 09:30 PM   #701
khg is offline khg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkbag View Post
For those of you mounting your motor run caps on the top plate -- are you finding nice covers? Or are you panting / polishing the cap itself and I'm seeing the external surface of the cap?
I mounted my run cap underneath the top panel. I cut the hole about 3/32" larger than the can and used the flange at the bottom to hold it in place with 3 nuts/bolts/washers. I also polished the can with some Simichrome. I didn't take it too far as the top panel itself is brushed. Here are some pictures:

Run Cap Bottom
Run Cap Top
Old 5th March 2020, 01:05 PM   #702
jerkbag is offline jerkbag
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khg View Post
I mounted my run cap underneath the top panel. I cut the hole about 3/32" larger than the can and used the flange at the bottom to hold it in place with 3 nuts/bolts/washers. I also polished the can with some Simichrome. I didn't take it too far as the top panel itself is brushed. Here are some pictures:

Run Cap Bottom
Run Cap Top

Thanks -- that looks great! So the exterior of the cap itself is safe, in terms of a cover for it?

I'm in the finishing stages of planning my top panel with front panel express -- your layout looks really similar to mine. Are you happy with it? Where'd you get those plastic thingys' for the PCB mounting screws?

Last edited by jerkbag; 5th March 2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 5th March 2020, 01:51 PM   #703
khg is offline khg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkbag View Post
So the exterior of the cap itself is safe, in terms of a cover for it? ... Are you happy with it? Where'd you get those plastic thingys' for the PCB mounting screws?
Yes - the exterior of the cap itself is safe. And itís grounded. Iím happy with my layout - I wouldnít change the location of anything. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have added some vent holes over the mosfets and the regulator heat sinks, just to help dissipate some heat. Those plastic things are nylon standoffs. I canít remember exactly from where I got them, but theyíre not hard to find. I may have picked them up from the small parts section at Home Depot, or Ace Hardware?
Old 5th March 2020, 08:16 PM   #704
jerkbag is offline jerkbag
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khg View Post
Yes - the exterior of the cap itself is safe. And itís grounded. Iím happy with my layout - I wouldnít change the location of anything. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have added some vent holes over the mosfets and the regulator heat sinks, just to help dissipate some heat. Those plastic things are nylon standoffs. I canít remember exactly from where I got them, but theyíre not hard to find. I may have picked them up from the small parts section at Home Depot, or Ace Hardware?

great -- thanks for the help!
Old 9th April 2020, 10:36 PM   #705
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bottom mount diodes, ICs and Mosfets

I am mounting most parts to bottom of the board. I've come to the diodes, ICs and Mosfet install and I suppose they have to be mounted on the bottom reverse from a top mount to keep the correct lead in the correct hole. Am I correct on that point? Does this cause any problems with then mounting the HS's?
Old 9th April 2020, 11:16 PM   #706
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!
Yes, they should be reversed. There is one which I dont remember which that can go both ways. Most of the heatsinks are fine, there is one that comes close to the caps but overall is OK.
You can see my pic in this post for correct orientation:
Pictures of your Tubelab amp
Old 10th April 2020, 11:35 AM   #707
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ICs and Mosfet install and I suppose they have to be mounted on the bottom reverse from a top mount
Yes, all except for the dual diode D1 must be reversed.

Quote:
Does this cause any problems with then mounting the HS's?
There are two sets of holes for the heat sinks (except D1) so that they will fit from either side.

Test fit the parts, or actually solder them in, while they are screwed to the heat sinks so that you get the height correct and choose the correct holes.
Old 10th April 2020, 03:15 PM   #708
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

For clarification:
Can D1 go either way?
I forgot to ask about IC-3 with the five leads. That can't be reversed. Will that work by just plugging it in backwards?
Thanks for the help
Old 10th April 2020, 08:42 PM   #709
vernonb is offline vernonb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winggo View Post
For clarification:
Can D1 go either way?
I forgot to ask about IC-3 with the five leads. That can't be reversed. Will that work by just plugging it in backwards?
Thanks for the help

Yes backwards and upside down is the same as reversed
see this post from tubelab for good pics of IC3 installed on the bottom
After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!
and yes D1 can go either way
Old 11th April 2020, 12:05 AM   #710
canersahin is offline canersahin  Turkey
diyAudio Member

What is the wattage of R2 did you guys use for 300B? It is supposed to be 300 ohms but no information about the wattage.

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!Hide this!Advertise here!