Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 18th January 2019, 05:46 AM   #41
Captn Dave is offline Captn Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Strictly my $0.02 USD, but I think it would make things easier. Not only just the tubes, but with all the heatsinks on stuff, and large electrolytics and coupling caps, it can get pretty tight - especially when being tinkered with ...
Plus one for the streached board. The added cost is minor in the whole scheme of things.
Old 18th January 2019, 01:43 PM   #42
shortwave is offline shortwave
diyAudio Member

Iíve never designed a PCB. To me the idea of a single board stretched or otherwise to accommodate and address issues such as heat or space for experimenting sounds good. One less board to stock or handle and the rise in cost (on the purchasing end) would be nominal.
Old 18th January 2019, 02:11 PM   #43
colnago55 is offline colnago55  United States
diyAudio Member

A larger board sounds like a great idea.
Old 18th January 2019, 11:03 PM   #44
Grumpish is offline Grumpish  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A slightly bigger board would be good - extra space for things like bigger heatsinks for the MOSFETs (those things run very hot). But then a two board solution would be good as well, taking the power supply on to separate board would give more flexibility and make it easier to experiment with alternative power supplies.
Old 19th January 2019, 03:18 AM   #45
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Today's plan is to grow the board up to a maximum size of 5.75 inches by 9 inches.

Quote:
bigger heatsinks for the MOSFETs (those things run very hot)
One of the "minor changes" is to move a lot of that heat into a big resistor or two, so the mosfets wont burn your fingers.

Another common request is to add the screw terminals like seen on the TSE and SPP. I will also add terminals for an external power supply if there is room for it, otherwise the existing pads will have to do.

C1 needs to be a lot bigger to accommodate 2A3 tubes.

A clamp diode needs to be added across the B+ supply. The supply goes negative at power on until the rectifier tube warms up......can't be good for the electrolytic caps.

Virtually nobody except me used the PC board mounted volume pot, so it's gone.

Library part for the 5842 tube is being updated to the same footprint used in all other Tubelab products......the TSE board predates the existence of Tubelab Inc. It was actually named after my prototyping system I called "The Tubelab."

I will be leaving on a 12 day road trip on Monday (weather permitting). During the down time I plan to do the layout work, and order parts, so I can make a prototype board when I return.
Old 19th January 2019, 04:12 PM   #46
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

What about some jumpers in the cathode leads of the power tubes? Installed, they connect the cathodes to the onboard supply. Not installed, they provide pads to attach an external heater supply for 6.3 or 7.5 volt, or other, tubes.

Would need one jumper for each tube so they are isolated from each other.

Win W5JAG
Old 20th January 2019, 01:57 AM   #47
Captn Dave is offline Captn Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Virtually nobody except me used the PC board mounted volume pot, so it's gone.
Funny you say that. I don't have any pots that fit that pin footprint and couldn't find one at Mouser or digikey. Can you please offer a part number for an audio taper dual pot that fits the pads?
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:13 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

I had a box full of PCB mounted dual pots that I got surplus back in the early 90's. They were plastic, but worked good, and none ever failed. I had found the same parts in one of the popular catalogs of the day and falsely assumed that I could get them when needed. When my supply ran out in the mid 2000's, none were to be found.

The picture in post #34 shows my work-around. It is a common Alpha pot from Mouser with wire looped through the holes in the solder lugs on the pot and then soldered into the board. I used this method to build several amps, but I haven't made complete amps in about 10 years. I assume that the rather standard pots that I used back then are still around, but I haven't actually looked for them.

I am away from my lab at the moment for an unknown time frame. I probably still have some of them in the original bag. I will check when I get back. It could be 2 days, or 2 weeks, probably somewhere in between.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:14 PM   #49
baker8 is online now baker8  United States
diyAudio Member

The 5842 is getting expensive and hard to find. Would a board adapted for a D3A be a bad idea?
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:39 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

I have looked, but not found an acceptable substitute for the 5842 in the TSE. I haven't tried the D3A because they are rather hard to find and expensive as well, especially outside of Europe.

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!Hide this!Advertise here!