Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 13th January 2019, 09:54 PM   #31
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I saw that DigiKey still list around 800 units of the slightly lower spec version, which is restricted to 3.5 amps
I have 10 of these on the way. The tracking number shows delivery for tomorrow, but no actual scan since shipment. A serious snowstorm may delay that a bit. We had 6 inches here today, and its still coming down.

I have one of the first ever commercial quality TSE boards on my workbench. It was one of two I built from the first batch of TSE PC boards I had made in 2005. I replaced the blown mosfet from an experiment gone wrong, and listened to it for several hours last night.

I will test the 3.5 amp chips in it with 45's and 300B's at various line voltages and conditions. On paper they should work, but I won't believe it until I test and compare everything to the 5 amp chip that's in the board. If they work there, then a 3.5 amp chip gets fittent into my Lexan TSE. That amp runs HOT due to it's cramped chassis with near zero ventilation. It is also home to the other one of the original TSE boards.

I also have several candidate regulator chips coming in the same Digikey order. None of these are pin compatible, and would require a board change. All will be tested!
Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM   #32
Captn Dave is offline Captn Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

I see that Quest has over a thousand of the Sharp PQ5EV7 regulators at a very fair price. Is there any reason why the 7 amp regulator would be a problem? The pinouts are the same and the spec are very similar (other than the max current obviously).
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #33
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe that it will work, and may order some, but I have never actually tried them. I don't remember WHY I didn't try them, but knowing me, 15 years ago when I designed the TSE, it was probably price. Why spend $6 when $3 works just as good?

After letting some, but not all, of the smoke out of my power transformer by dropping a nut on a live board, I'm set up for some regulator testing tomorrow. I have a variac wired into the primary of my still hot power transformer for dropout testing. The 5 amp chip that is in the board starts to pass ripple when the line voltage goes below 110 volts. I will test the other perspective chips against that benchmark, then look for ways to improve it.

My board is almost 15 years old, and its parts are about 18 years old. Maybe those power supply caps aren't what they used to be. Then maybe my 15 year old power transformer didn't like having it's 6.3 volt winding shorted long enough to melt the green wires together!

I have some of the 3.5 Amp Sharp parts, and 3 different versions of other possible replacements which would require a new board layout. I don't have any of the 7 amp parts to try though.

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!Hide this!Advertise here!