Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 10th June 2019, 08:29 AM   #321
elobilo is offline elobilo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentodd View Post
I finished stuffing my tse II board this morning (except for d7). I had a hard time figuring out how to make it work with d1 and it looked to me like everyone had it installed backwards in their pictures until I found the comment on post 251 that d1 is reversible! I'd recommend adding that to bom notes item 4!

Allen
Yes that threw me as well and why I was unsure if my IC were correctly installed. I either missed that comment or forgot it. I'm also ready to power up after a couple of resistors I forgot to order come.
I have a few questions about connecting the power leads to the board, which I'll post later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post
May I ask what PT and OT you picked up? I do not see them in the BOM or build thread on his site? Thanks.

James
George has a lot of information about potentual output transformers here.
Component Testing | Tubelab
Elsewhere he has information about PTs as well, and these will vary depending on what you want to build tube wise. .
Old 10th June 2019, 01:14 PM   #322
exojam is offline exojam  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, that is twice someone has referred me over there so it looks like I need to take my butt over there and do a lot of reading.

Thanks for the info, James

Does anyone plan on using those new Western Electric 300B tubes?
Old 10th June 2019, 01:42 PM   #323
neskor is offline neskor  Serbia
diyAudio Member

board arrived
Old 10th June 2019, 02:53 PM   #324
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post
Does anyone plan on using those new Western Electric 300B tubes?
Not me.There are too many other current production options available. A quick search for 300B on the Antique Electronics Supply website will show several.
Old 10th June 2019, 03:29 PM   #325
allentodd is offline allentodd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
Thanks for the tips! Do the of the terminal blocks fit perfectly on the PCB or "good enough"?
Perfect fit. They are the same ones used on the SSE board. I actually ordered mine from Handmade Electronics, since I was getting other stuff from there already and they fit perfectly too.
Old 10th June 2019, 03:51 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

A question on grounding.
In a day or two, after the extra components have arrived, I'll be ready to connect everything up and test. In the original TSE I schematic, the HT centre tap connected to the ground, as it does in the TSE II, but in the SE I there is also the earth from the mains connecting to somewhere near the pad 4 that decides the heater voltage. I can't see anything to connect the mains earth in the SE II, but I remember George talking about this somewhere but can't now find it.
Q: Does the mains earth get connected to the board? and if so, where? I see that the chassis fixing holes are isolated, so it can't be through these.
Also, can the trim pots be mounter on the top tube side with out any problems (I think yes but want to double check) as it would be easier for me to adjust them on the top without turning the board over.
Old 10th June 2019, 05:57 PM   #327
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
A 32 ohm can on an 8 ohm winding will present a 20K ohm load to the tube. The 45 will be loafing along and distortion should be quite low.
This can easily be done by adding a resistor across the OPT secondary in parallel with the phones. One could use a 10 ohm resistor and 32 ohm phones to get a nearly ideal 8 ohm load
Hey George,
I've been reading and asking about triode loading and think I finally understand the compromises here, but would like to get your input on this.
Based on what you write here, on the 8ohm secondary, a 32ohm will present 20K and a 300ohm will present 187K.
If power were sufficient in this case, is there any point in putting a load resistor?

Based on a few computations, power output with or without a load resistor is more or less the same. Although with the load resistor, it seems like the distortion will be higher...
If that is true, why is it considered the "ideal" load?
Old 10th June 2019, 06:11 PM   #328
allentodd is offline allentodd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elobilo View Post
Also, can the trim pots be mounter on the top tube side with out any problems (I think yes but want to double check) as it would be easier for me to adjust them on the top without turning the board over.
You can mount the trim pots on either side -- see posts 113-116 in this thread for some different strategies for safely adjusting bias with the board installed in the chassis.
Old 10th June 2019, 06:52 PM   #329
neskor is offline neskor  Serbia
diyAudio Member

it will be nice to have updated schematic
it will help to check that everything is soldered OK
Old 10th June 2019, 09:54 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentodd View Post
You can mount the trim pots on either side -- see posts 113-116 in this thread for some different strategies for safely adjusting bias with the board installed in the chassis.
Thanks, looks like I have a little desolderibg to do

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!Hide this!Advertise here!