Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 24th December 2018, 01:11 AM   #21
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
TSE board. I hope there is at least 1 left.
Plenty left. I haven't counted lately but there is still an unopened 25 pack still on the shelf.

Quote:
you can ship anything that fits in the Flat Rate box for the same price, regardless of weight. A couple lead bricks?......The maximum weight is listed as 70 pounds,
Waste postage on lead bricks? Maybe someone who casts their own bullets, but I prefer shipping bricks made from iron and copper.

Years ago I wanted to build a mega - power adjustable power supply. That exercise made my mail carrier very angry. Instead of delivering my mail I got a notice to pick my stuff up at the post office. It seems that a 1 KVA 480 volt to 120 volt industrial control transformer WILL fit into a medium flat rate box with styrofoam on all 6 sides, but the letter carrier couldn't pick up the box. I had two of those and one of the two big variacs that I bought off Ebay arrive at the post office the same day. The flat rate box is just the ticket for shipping big transformers......now if we could only get Edcor to use it.
Old 24th December 2018, 02:18 AM   #22
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
US shippers can use the "flat rate boxes" which the US Postal service gives away for free, when you promise to ship by Priority Mail.
Yep. Those work great for shipping within the US. I seem to recall that the USPS will even deliver them by the bundle to your home/business for free! For shipping outside the US, Priority Mail is prohibitively expensive, however.

When I lived in the US, I found the $16.99/month subscription to Stamps.com well worth it. It allowed me to print First Class (including First Class International) postage at home, which is impossible through the USPS website (or at least it was at the time).

Tom
Old 25th December 2018, 03:30 PM   #23
boywonder is offline boywonder  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post

When I lived in the US, I found the $16.99/month subscription to Stamps.com well worth it. It allowed me to print First Class (including First Class International) postage at home, which is impossible through the USPS website (or at least it was at the time).

Tom

It's still impossible from the USPS website.....
Old 25th December 2018, 08:01 PM   #24
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
t's still impossible from the USPS website.....
UH, I just printed the first class postage for a pair of PC boards being sent to the Netherlands this morning and I will take them to the post office tomorrow on my way back from the gym.

I have been printing first class international for several years from Welcome | USPS for years. I think that you may need to register and set up an account first, and log in for the option to appear.

Quote:
I seem to recall that the USPS will even deliver them by the bundle to your home/business for free!
Yes, the priority mail envelopes come here for free. I order 100 of them at a time and they take about 10 days to arrive. I order first class mailers from Uline. They are not free, but are cheaper than the USPS mailers.
Old 26th December 2018, 09:46 PM   #25
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!
Not sure if this is the place to suggest it but I just ordered a Tubelab SE pcb and one of the first things I’ll be looking to do is install some sort of subwoofer output on the circuit. Provisions for an option such as this might be desirable in a redesign, perhaps something transformer-based on the input.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:59 PM   #26
Captn Dave is offline Captn Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

It happens that today I am in the second day of assembly of a SE board I bought two or three years ago. Life happened and I’m just now getting to it. Most of my thoughts have been shared by others but I do have a suggestion.

I understand the beauty and simplicity of having all the components mounted above the board and I may come to value that even more as I set the bias. Having said that, I will probably install all the caps underneath and I’d do the same with all of the solid state components were that possible (assuming I could resolve cooling). It’s just simpler for me to build a safe enclosure that way.

My suggestion would be a provision for that. Perhaps two pair of heat sink mounting holes for the TO3 devices and a two sets of pads for the regulator. One could even silk screen both side of the board.

Kudos on the assembly instructions online. And the safety page should be required reading.

Last edited by Captn Dave; 9th January 2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11th January 2019, 07:35 AM   #27
OldHector is offline OldHector
diyAudio Member

Regarding the obsolete regulator ...
I was looking for parts for my recently acquired TSE board, and was wondering how to solve the regulator issue.
I saw that DigiKey still list around 800 units of the slightly lower spec version, which is restricted to 3.5 amps (part 425-2349-5-ND). Looking at the possible tubes I could use, as long as I steer clear from the 2.5v heaters then 3.5 amps should be no problem.
Looking at the board, if I cut one of the tracks for heater filament supply on the board, then there is the possibility to mount two of the 3.5 amp regulators as part of an off-board solution, with a separate regulator for each filament.

So there would seem to still be an open door for potential builders of this amplifier. Hoping my reasoning is correct!
Old 11th January 2019, 06:59 PM   #28
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe a HD regulator be built of discrete parts that would work just as well or is there nothing suitable for that? Of course it would have to be on a separate little PCB or Perf. board.

There also might be a market for a fil. regulator PCB to sell?

How about the reg. in post #14 (2nd last ) and it's 7.5A. Might be best to use 1/CH & heatsink it it like jdrouin did.
Alternative Voltage Regulator for TSE
Old 13th January 2019, 10:22 AM   #29
OldHector is offline OldHector
diyAudio Member

The 7.5A regulator was plan B, but that is no longer available from Digikey, and nothing equivalent was listed elsewhere that could easily be ordered from Sweden.
Old 13th January 2019, 03:41 PM   #30
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

The 7A version is available in large quantities from these 2 suppliers. 1st in Japan so you would think it's safe. 2nd Taiwan so?

Brokers, Distributors & Dealers

http://www.firstic.com/partrult.asp

Many 1000's in stock from these suppliers:

PQ5EV7 Price & Stock | DigiPart

Search | WIN SOURCE

Digikey and Mouser aren't the only suppliers and sure those chips are out of production, but for the amount of board sales and low price in quantity one could stock up.

There are other fil. reg pcb's for DHT tubes out there that could be used if need be.

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!Hide this!Advertise here!