Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 17th May 2019, 08:30 PM   #241
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi George

I bought two of your SE boards last fall, figuring I would screw up the first one. I didn't screw it up totally but it does have some hum that I can't get rid of. Was going to rebuild with the second board with all new resistors, caps etc. and use existing tubes and transformers. Now I think I will order your new board and build that up. I just send Paypal to your web site, right?

I would like to isolate the power transformer away from the rest of the amp on a seperate chassis. Do you have any suggestions for a safe way to do that and what kind of wire and insulation I could use?

Is there a current updated parts list that I could down load and start ordering parts?

Looking forward to the new board.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:02 PM   #242
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Try these threads for umbilical cord.
Umbilical cord construction
Confirming umbilical connector choice
So the final build begins
Pictures of your Tubelab amp
Old 20th May 2019, 01:36 AM   #243
humayun is offline humayun  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
The TSE was designed with 45's in mind. <snip>
I built a TSE with 300B tubes. I was struggling with keeping things cool. Finally I gave in and moved all heat producing components off board, mounted them on massive heat sinks (from HAM fests for pennies) and wired connections back to the board. I was expecting hum and other problems but amp works beautifully with zero hum. Hopefully will post some pictures of the innards of my amp. Regarding Sharp regulator, my amp is working fine but just to stock up I was able to order 10 sharp regulators from Jotrin Electronics in Singapore. Price was right about $2.85 per piece. If anyone absolutely needs a regulator just contact me and I would be happy to send you one without charge. I would like to hold onto at least 5 for myself though
Old 25th May 2019, 10:10 PM   #244
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, I believe this is the correct final BOM for the TSE-II. I ordered enough parts to make 4 boards, and construction should commence when they arrive. That should be somewhere in the middle of next week. There are a few minor changes since I last posted, and a whole page of notes gathered from building 3 different versions of this board. As of now I have only built one of the production boards. 11 have been sold so far and some people have already started building and have asked a few questions. I hope the notes answer them all.

I did manage to scare myself and my wife pretty good last night with some fireworks. The dangling volume pot touched one of the heat sinks when I flipped the board over to set the bias. Lots of sparks occurred since B+ was sparked directly to ground, and as before I had the Variac cranked up all the way......That low ESR cap I specified for C5 can blow some chunks out of a heat sink, but the old Sovtek rectifier tube shrugged it off, and the amp still works.......insulators are now specified for the CCS chips.

These files were updated this morning (5-26). A note was added concerning R4 and the optional choke. There were some email questions about the connectors for transformer, choke, and supplemental power supply cap. These were adopted from the SSE which was designed after the original TSE. The triode mode wiring diagrams for SSE apply to the TSE-II board, except for the heater windings. As with the SSE, if the 5 volt winding has a CT, DO NOT connect it to anything. The 6.3 volt winding connects to the board via the T1-GRN connector as in the SSE, except that the CT (usually green-yellow) must go to the terminal closest to the FRONT of the board, and the ends (usually green) must go to the center and rear terminals. Make NO EXTERNAL CONNECTIONS to the CT or any other 6.3 volt wire. Grounding the CT on a 300B amp will blow stuff up!

I have started a build notes document, and will post it ASAP, probably tomorrow. More build information will come with user questions, and as I build some boards and amps. It will take some time for all of this to be distilled into a form for the web site.

EDIT: the BOM and notes have been edited to include current AES part numbers for the tube sockets. The usual big parts distributors do NOT carry tube sockets. I usually get mine from Stan at ESRC, but he is out of the 4 pin sockets at the moment. I haven't used the AES parts in a while, so I ordrered some and will verify proper fitment when they arrive. The dimensions on the drawings match my parts, so these are low risk. AES = Antique Electronic Supply

NOTE...The A couple of inconsistancies were found in the BOM that was previously posted here. They were simple things line the letters IC used on the board VS U on the BOM, no part numbers were changed!

In order to avoid having two or more different versions of the BOM scattered throughout this thread, I have put the latest BOM in POST #1. All new BOM updates and build info will go into POST #1 so that it is easy to find.

Last edited by Tubelab_com; 8th June 2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 26th May 2019, 02:11 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Here are some pictures of my working 2A3 board. It has also been used with 45's, but the power transformer must be changed. 45's don't like 400 volts! The Chinese 2A3's don't seem to care and give me a bit over 4 WPC.

Some of my parts are not exactly correct. I used what I had where it doesn't matter. I see a 6.2 K carbon comp where a 4.7K is specified. Anything from 4.7K to 10K will work fine. I also used 1/2 watt 620 ohm resistors where 1/4 watt is called for. There are probably a few more such cases, but the correct parts are on order, and will be used for the assembly manual photos.

The green clip lead is the voltmeter ground. I was taking voltage readings while twisting the Variac the other night when the volume pot hit the heat sink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2580626_x.jpg (672.8 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg P2580628_x.jpg (721.2 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg P2580629_x.jpg (652.7 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg P2580631_x.jpg (890.0 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg P2580632_x.jpg (752.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg P2580634_x.jpg (818.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg P2580635_x.jpg (792.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg P2580636_x.jpg (763.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 26th May 2019, 02:13 PM   #246
jgx is offline jgx  Spain
diyAudio Member

Thanks George
Old 26th May 2019, 02:36 PM   #247
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!
George,

Nice pics, and the spacing around the MOSFETs looks much bigger vs the earlier layout.
Old 26th May 2019, 08:15 PM   #248
allentodd is offline allentodd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
I also used 1/2 watt 620 ohm resistors where 1/4 watt is called for. There are probably a few more such cases, but the correct parts are on order, and will be used for the assembly manual photos.
Is there an advantage to using 1/4 watt resistors if one already has 1/2 watt resistors in the appropriate values?
Old 26th May 2019, 08:28 PM   #249
diyAudio Member

If your resistors fit the board, use them. The parts dissipate 50 milliwatts worse case, usually about 20, so that any 620 ohm resistor will work.

My 1/2 watt parts are a little big for the board, but work. I just got a few of the "correct" parts to be used to make pictures for a build manual similar to the SSE and original TSE.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:07 PM   #250
allentodd is offline allentodd  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!Hide this!Advertise here!