• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hot speaker wire at TSE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friends,

After long slow progress I finally completed my TSE build (after junking 2 Power transformers , and at least one burn out etc.) . Thanks to all in this forum it is done. I benefited from reading posts here and mostly reading and stealing ideas :).
I am happy to report that except for metal plate holes (and printed circuit board of course) I tried to do all by myself. While it is not the prettiest TSE, it sings beautifully. Electronics did not take long but building a case was a killer.
Thank you all.
I do have a question. I was checking Case and metal plate and connections using a hot wire tester, like those electricians use to ascertain which wire is hot. It lit up when I touched one of speaker wire (one at each channel). Does this mean that speaker wire is hot and I have to make sure no one ever accidently can touch it? I noticed that when volume is low, I do not detect hot wire but when volume is up , tester lights up. It is expected? or should I be concerned? My build is with 330b. I am using James OPTs. I would appreciate your guidance.
Best Regards,

... I am concerned about the presence of high voltage. ...

Did you get a shock, or are you worried about getting a shock?

I have never heard of using an electricians line tool to test a tube amp output for AC voltage. Rayma is likely right; the device is sensitive enough to detect the AC when music is playing at elevated volume.

Regardless, why not just use a real voltmeter and settle the question that way, measuring for both DC and AC static voltage, for your peace of mind?

Win W5JAG

Do you mean a electrician's NCVT (non-contact voltage tester)?
While they measure AC, DC and static electricity, they can be overly sensitive and react to what electricians call phantom voltage. The probes are extremely high impedance testers and just a few pF of leakage can set them off.

Phantom voltage is when an electrician measures a long wire that is not connected at either end (but is near powered wires) using a modern DMM meter. The meter might show a high voltage, but the voltage disappears with a small load on the wire.

Thank you all for your guidance. I did used non-contact AC tester like electricians use. I did not get shock. I did try using the same tester on a solid state amplifier speaker wire and it and there also it showed presence of AC. I believe as others have pointed out that the tester just detects varying audio frequency and gives false indication of AC. As per suggetions I will use a DMM to be sure.

I am enjoying my Amp in the mean time. And once again I want to thank all who frequent this forum helping newbies like me.

All the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.