• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've started down the rabbit hole... I've started building my Simple SE. I'm working toward a moderately priced amp, trying to keep a line between going too crazy, but not cheaping out either. I rendered a few drawings to see what it might look like and a rough total size.

Edcor XPWR 155 (350-0-350)
Edcor GSXE 15-5K OPTs
Triad C-14X Choke
TEMCo Motor Run Capacitor RC0096 100uF

Currently using yellow Cornell Dublier poly caps for the coupling caps... Might upgrade to Auricaps or 715P orange drops.

Planning on using only tube rectification or maybe a YellowJacket style SS rectifier.

Adding switched for Cathode Feedback On/Off and Pentode/Ultra-linear.

Using the idea of a switched cathode bias to support tube rolling, but will likely start with only the choke, and cap to simplify things.

At this stage I've populated the board with everything but the 1N4007s and the CL-140. My only nit is that they aren't listed in the BOM on the web page. Otherwise, the build docs are good, and I used the Ty Bower checklist to check my resistances as I await the transformer fairy.

Next up, purchasing the steel and walnut for the casework. I'm thinking pebble finish matte black for the steel, and repainting the end bells for the xfrmers with a matte black as well.

From a tube standpoint I'll start with maybe EL34's or KT88s...

Attachments

• Canvas 2.png
    Canvas 2.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 451
  • Top View Hidden.png
    Top View Hidden.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Top View.png
    Top View.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 441
Now on to some sexier pics other than renderings! Here's my top and bottom side shots of the nearly completely populated Simple SE board. Still waiting on the delivery of the CL-140 and the 1N4007's to make it a completely populated board.

Edcor estimates 12/19 for the transformers. I guess that gives me time to really knock the casework out of the park.

Attachments

• IMG_7083.jpg
    IMG_7083.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_8269.jpg
    IMG_8269.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 417
All the parts, save the tubes and transformers have arrived. Got the top plate drilled out today. need to drill the mounting holes for the board, and to mount the top plate to the casework. Stumbled into some spalted maple and a piece of Wenge that I had forgotten about. The case is coming together in my head. Now to execute!

I'm thinking of oil rubbed bronze for the spray on the top plate. Also thinking of spraying the end bells of the Edcors...

Attachments

• IMG_7687.jpg
    IMG_7687.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7578.jpg
    IMG_7578.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 115
Had the day off today...

-Managed to get the casework about 1/2 done.

-Painted the top plate

-Working on holes for binding posts/ RCA inputs.

-Wired bias resistor switch

-Ordered tubes: (Nothing too expensive for first time out...)
  • JAN Philips 12AT7WC
  • Sovtek 5AR4
  • Telefunken EL-34's
  • Mullard KT-88's

Attachments

• IMG_3632.jpg
    IMG_3632.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9740.jpg
    IMG_9740.jpg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 96
Getting there...

Latest update...

Casework done. Just need to spray the casework. Going to use CAB Acrylic Lacquer. Love that stuff, easy to spray, dries quickly and leaves a perfect sheen.

Tubes came in!!!!

Starting to wire the switches, power and volume control.

Waiting on Edcor now...

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 119
Almost there...

Casework completed! Everything is wired up under the covers except cathode feedback, and triode/ultralinear mode switches.

Got word that the Edcors shipped today... Hoping next weekend I can sit down and breathe life into this beast!

Quick question on wiring the grounds on the input RCAs, do I need a separate wire to each ground or will one wire to one ground then a jumper from ground A to B suffice?

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.