• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

type 46 tube question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have somebody trying or experience with the 46 tube in the tubelab SET 45 as power tube? Is it possible at all in SE class A ? How do it sound and how do it have to be connected ? Is a ux4 to ux5 pin converter/adapter usable ?

The 45 tube filment is 1,5A and the 46 is 1,75A So I think the power transformer have to handle the situation.
I think it is interesting because the low cost of type 46 tube in comparison with type 45.

I do not know enough about tube Circuits to give it a try without seek out and find the knowledge.
icon3.gif

Last edited:
Yes, some, including myself, have used 46 in the TSE.

The 46 makes an excellent triode, but you will need a correctly wired adapter to use it in the TSE.

A search in this subforum should bring up some useful information, although it is scattered across several threads.

This lengthy thread goes all over the place, but has some information on using 46 ( and 47 ) in a Tubelab SSE modified to use directly heated tubes.

Tubelab SE: Removing MOSFETs?

Win W5JAG

Thanks for the information, good to hear that the sound is wery well. I have a plan to try it in the TSE not SSE. I think it is hard to find relevanty info in my level. So I think about the 5. pin on the 46 (g2) do I have to connect it to the plate? perhaps with a resistor among?

I have read, that g1 + g2 have to be connected together for the push pull option.

How have you done the Circuit or the correctly wired adapter? What was your experience and options (SE,PP, B+, Bias adjust in mA, output transformer data and so on) trying the 46 tube?

My B+ is 290v over R30 and I have the Lundahl LL1620 6K 60mA SE output transformer.

I hope You will share your experience, perhaps I can return for it some day WHO knows. Thank you for your kindness.

Michael

Pretty much everything I know about using 46 or 47 is in that thread, so not a lot more I can share, unfortunately.

There are probably some other threads in the sub forum about 46; the topic comes up from time to time.

46 or 47 will work fine in a TSE that was built for type 45 tubes - provided that a tube adapter is fitted - the plate voltage is OK, and they can be biased close enough without any component changes on the circuit board. For 46, G2 goes to plate, no resistor is necessary. For 47, G2 also goes to plate, no resistor is necessary.

Often there are adapters on ebay to convert a five pin 46 or 47 to the four pin 45 socket. Unless you have the parts already on hand, it is probably cheaper to just buy the pre made adapters.

I would definitely verify the pin out is correct when I had them in hand, just in case.

Win W5JAG

Great read about the 46 tube in your thread thanks. Thanks also for advising me to the ebay for the adapter.

I think the perfect bias point is about 20mA at 290v B+ over R30 in the TSE. How do I know when I have found the right bias point? I have a mA meter over R18 and R29. When is the tube 46 right biasèd, not too hot or not too cold ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.