• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Starting on a SSE build finally

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you planning to use any specific tube type (e.g. EL34, KT88) for your SSE build?

Here you go with a link for an OPT with 5K primaries which would work with quite a few tube types.:

TTG-EL84SE TOROIDY - Transformer: speaker | TME - Electronic components

I have no experience with their products though; it's a toroidal output transformer which is not common.

If using an EL34 or 6CA7 tube this power transformer from Hammond should work:

373BX Hammond Manufacturing | Mouser United Kingdom

Both are off the shelf components, so no manufacturing lead times involved.

thanks for the response,

I will use the toroidy for a EL34 or 6V6 first SSE build

and if everything goes well, then will use hammond's with a SE board for 300B tubes

is there a current shared spreadsheet of the PCB parts somewhere with mouser or digi key part list ? might be useful to compile one and stick it on the forum as it takes so much time to build up the basket for PCB parts from this
Parts List | Tubelab

thanks for the response,

I will use the toroidy for a EL34 or 6V6 first SSE build

and if everything goes well, then will use hammond's with a SE board for 300B tubes

anirban,

Sorry if I have misunderstood, but please note that you will need both output transformers (such as the Toroidy transformers in the link that was provided) and a power transformer with required voltage taps and rating (such as the Hammond 373BX).

Also please note that with a tube amp you will be dealing with very high (lethal) voltages - so please proceed with extreme caution.

yes thanks for the caution, I have been prepping up with 2 multimeters, sleeved screwdrivers and reading up on discharging on capacitors etc :D

also I have been trying to find out a way to separate out the OPT (in its own power supply chasiss) from the PCB + 2 audio transformers , then find a way to make the setup plug & play - basically I had ordered a couple of SE & SSE boards and want to test out the combinations of a 300B & EL34

also I have been trying to find out a way to separate out the OPT (in its own power supply chasiss) from the PCB + 2 audio transformers , then find a way to make the setup plug & play - basically I had ordered a couple of SE & SSE boards and want to test out the combinations of a 300B & EL34

anirban,

You will need 2 x OPT or Output Transformer (one for each channel) and 1 x PT (Power Transformer) for each amplifier.

I recall one TSE builder (boywonder?) who did a 2 chassis amplifier - PCB with 2 x OPT in one chassis, power transformer housed in another chassis. Doable, but there is extra effort and cost involved.

Also please note, that for an EL34 SSE build, you will need a power transformer within 700VCT - 750 VCT rating. For 300B tubes you will need a PT around 650VCT rating - so basically you cannot use the same power transformer for both projects.

ha ditch that idea, a variac with that kind of output for PT is expensive,
I will go for a simple PT with Hammond 373BX and 2 toriody for a SSE 300B

anirban,

The SSE is a much simpler build vs the Tubelab SE.

The 300B will not work in the SSE. That tube is directly heated triode (DHT) and will work in the Tubelab SE.

For the SSE you will need to choose among tubes like EL34, 6CA7, or 6L6 (to name a few options) if you want to use the Hammond 373BX.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.