• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If anything, 12 ohm will be easier for a solid state amp to drive.

Bit less power output compared to 8 ohm, but not enough to be noticeable.

If it's a tube amp then experiment with the 8 ohm and 16 ohm outlets (if fitted) and choose the one that sounds best.

Last edited:
I didn't see the tubelab reference until after I posted.

From the schematic, it appears that there are also 4 ohm and 16 ohm taps on the output transformer. You will be able to access them from inside the amp but must be experienced enough to do so safely.

I don't think the mismatch between the present 8 ohm tap and a 12 ohm speaker is sufficient to worry about, particularly as the impedance of the speaker varies with frequency.

The speaker may sound better on the 16 ohm tap, but you need to be prepared to get your soldering iron out and experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.