Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 2nd May 2018, 09:09 AM   #1
riven67 is offline riven67  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alternative part for TSE

Hello I've searched and this part seems to be an ongoing issue as it gets obsolete and then the replacement eventually also becomes obsolete ! Lol

It's the the mosfits part number 2sk3563, I found what I think is a good replacement but I have to admit while I've gotten pretty good at matching specs for some other passive components I'm just not sure when it comes to silicon.

So here is what is found

Mouse part# 757-TK5A50DSTA4QM

Manufacturer: Toshiba
Product Category: MOSFET
RoHS: Details
Technology: Si
Mounting Style: Through Hole
Package / Case: TO-220-3
Number of Channels: 1 Channel
Transistor Polarity: N-Channel
Vds - Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage: 500 V
Id - Continuous Drain Current: 5 A
Rds On - Drain-Source Resistance: 1.5 Ohms
Vgs th - Gate-Source Threshold Voltage: 2.4 V
Vgs - Gate-Source Voltage: 10 V
Qg - Gate Charge: 11 nC
Maximum Operating Temperature: + 150 C
Configuration: Single
Pd - Power Dissipation: 35 W
Channel Mode: Enhancement
Packaging: Reel
Height: 15 mm
Length: 10 mm
Series: TK5A50D
Transistor Type: 1 N-Channel
Width: 4.5 mm
Brand: Toshiba
Fall Time: 8 ns
Product Type: MOSFET
Rise Time: 18 ns
Factory Pack Quantity: 50
Subcategory: MOSFETs
Typical Turn-Off Delay Time: 55 ns
Typical Turn-On Delay Time: 40 ns
Unit Weight: 0.211644 oz

Can anyone confirm this will work? George chime in if you can please? LoL
I'll attach the data sheet if I can.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TK5A50D_datasheet_en_20131101-707928.pdf (176.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 31st July 2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

Alternative part for TSE
I'll second the request for confirmation. I decided to go for a TSE build myself this past week, but a search of Mouser and Digi-key has shown zero availability for the original part. It appears you've done your homework, but like you I'm a bit wary (read inexperienced) of choosing solid-state replacements.
Old 31st July 2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

On paper the Toshiba fet you found should work, but I haven't tried it. The issue today is that parts show up and if they haven't found a million unit plus sales slot within a year or so they vanish.

I have been using these two in recent builds with excellent success, but as usual they have both been discontinued. Mouser has 500+ of the bigger one. They work fine in my HV mosfet driver circuits including the TSE.

NDF04N60:

NDF04N60ZG-001 ON Semiconductor | Mouser

NDF02N60:

NDF04N60ZG-001 ON Semiconductor | Mouser
Old 31st July 2018, 04:52 PM   #4
riven67 is offline riven67  United States
diyAudio Member

NDF04N60ZG-001 is the one i ordered, I found it posted by Tubelab_com on another thread that discussed this subject and ordered it asap. As Tublab said it seems to be an ongoing issue.
Old 31st July 2018, 07:32 PM   #5
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member

Any chance this would work?

http://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconduct...-me-pd-mi-alte
Old 1st August 2018, 12:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any chance this would work?
I haven't tried them, but it should work fine.

In general you want a low Crss, under 10 pF and you want a zener protected gate so that it won't be blown in the event of a power surge or turn off followed by an immediate turn back on. The built in zeners used to be common, but the current trend seems to leave them out, or possibly not document them.

That was a daily event where I lived in Florida during the summer lightning season. A non protected fet will work most of the time, but I have seen them killed by lightning induced power surges or second or two blackouts.
Old 6th August 2018, 05:07 PM   #7
moggi1964 is offline moggi1964  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
I haven't tried them, but it should work fine.

In general you want a low Crss, under 10 pF and you want a zener protected gate so that it won't be blown in the event of a power surge or turn off followed by an immediate turn back on. The built in zeners used to be common, but the current trend seems to leave them out, or possibly not document them.

That was a daily event where I lived in Florida during the summer lightning season. A non protected fet will work most of the time, but I have seen them killed by lightning induced power surges or second or two blackouts.
Thanks George
Old 8th August 2018, 01:18 AM   #8
pblix is offline pblix  United States
diyAudio Member

What about those that don't have the Crss published? Is there a way to conclude usefulness from other data? I was just looking at the Infineon CoolMOS IPAW60R600P7S. I like the name
Old 17th August 2018, 04:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Crss number often varies with the applied voltage and thus may not be stated as a number but there is usually a graph. In this case it is Diagram 14 or page 10. It looks to be around 1 to 2 pF.

Note that this is a unique package to meet UL creepage requirements and may not fit in an existing TO220 PC board without some lead bending.

Also note the "ferrite beads on the gate lead" statement. The low capacitance of this part might make for a good oscillator, but I haven't tried it yet. I still haven't blown up all my ON Semi fets yet. For 94 cents each I'll get some with my next Mouser order.
Old 18th August 2018, 12:29 AM   #10
pblix is offline pblix  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response George. I totally missed the diagram.

For a different project I ordered the STF3LN80K5, with Crss published at 0.2pF. There is a similar graph (figure 8, page 7).

In general it seems the FETs with lower continuous drain current also have lower Crss. It helps when picking through the product filters at one of the popular vendor websites.

Alternative part for TSEHide this!Advertise here!