• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Distortion? Poor Bass Response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, thanks to everyone for your input. After going over things a few times, I believe that my only real problem has been low sensitivity speakers. I had a friend bring over his Martin Logan bookshelf speakers that claim 92 dB sensitivity and a 6 ohm load. The SSE sounded outstanding through these speakers.

It sounds great with KT88's (400 ohm cathode resistors), RCA 12AT7, and 274b rectifier tube, in UL mode without feedback has been the best combo. It seems the 274b is not the ideal rectifier tube for this, but it sounds better than the GZ34's and 5U4's that i have?

I know this has been gone over and George has a nice chart laid out, but.............I am wanting to add a switchable cathode resistor to use EL34, 6L6 and KT88. The values I have landed on are 750 ohm (EL34), 510 ohm (6L6) and 360 ohm (KT88). I know these all fall in the chart George gave us, but from your experiences, what do you think? B+ 452 5k OPT

Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.