Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 5th September 2018, 06:18 PM   #291
MellowTone is offline MellowTone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tubelab Universal Driver Board, 2015 version
Whoop whoop, definitely throwing my hat in the ring for this one. Super interested in building an amp with a pair of the UDB boards. I think I might finish rebuilding my "Industrial SSE" then skip the SE board and go straight to the UDB. Already impulse purchased some 6CG7's...

Either way, restarting from first post in the thread and shall ask questions when I make it back around to the end. Just deciding whether or not to let my itchy trigger finger buy the UDB boards prior to the PSU information and PSU boards themselves becoming a little more clear...
Old 10th September 2018, 03:06 AM   #292
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I had to pull the board off the workbench for other projects for now. Spent the day pressure washing the driveway cracks and filling them with crack filler.

It will probably be a week or two before I get back to playing. Summer is winding down and the garden needs work along with trying to get some work done on the house before winter.

Two years till I sell and move on.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:23 PM   #293
colnago55 is offline colnago55  United States
diyAudio Member

I decided to go ahead and invest in a Rigol DS1045Z. My plan is to use it to the scope to maximize the settings on the UDB board.

I am using 6CG7ís and KT88ís. Per Georgeís startup instructions I have set the plates in V1 at 110 volts and the plates for V2 at 450 volts before installing the power tubes. I am used a signal generator ap on my iPhone set at 1000Hz with a dummy load.

I am assuming the goal is to adjust the bias settings and the V2 plates to keep the sine waves from distorting.

Questions:

1. Do I need to purchase a real signal generator or can I get by with my iphone ap?
2. What is the best method for making adjustments using a scope?

Although Iíve looked at a couple of articles and YouTube videos about how to use the scope Iím learning by doing. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

On the bench with these settings the amp sounds great

Thanks, Jacques
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2646.jpg (788.8 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2647.jpg (961.2 KB, 341 views)
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:42 PM   #294
wanders is offline wanders  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stress to R6 & R7

I've had two udb monoblocks (Hammond 1650R, KT-88) up and running satisfactorily since mid July. During that time the driver boards have been mounted on a piece of plywood, socket side up. In disassembling the first amp to transfer it to the final chassis, I removed the udb and inspected the under side. Clearly the R6 & R7 (2W, 43K) resistors are damaged. (A new resistor is shown alongside.) Also, the solder joints seem iffy as well. Of course I have used these two resistors as test points for setting voltages throughout building and testing; so perhaps that testing has been stressful.

Anyway, I need to do something about this - at minimum replace them with heavier resistors (3W, etc.) and refresh the solder joints.

Comments appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r6-7.jpg (685.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 6th October 2018, 12:07 AM   #295
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
at minimum replace them with heavier resistors (3W, etc.)
The resistors in my board don't look toasty at all, but there are lots of variables at play here and yours are obviously not happy. If you have about 450 volts of B+ and maybe 110 volts on the plates of V1, then there are 340 volts or so across the resistors. The usual bias current for V1 is about 10 ma split between the two halves, or 5 mA per resistor. This makes each resistor dissipate 1.7 watts, which is a bit close for a 2 watt resistor, but it works in my board. Not all boards run on 450 volts, or 10 mA through V1.

My boards have the resistors on the top side, and they are spaced about 3/8 inch above the board, so the heat can get out. Your resistors are mounted pretty close to the board and have limited airflow. Heat rises, but it's blocked by the board, so it has nowhere to go but build up in the resistor, the solder joint, and the PCB.

I would got to at least a 3 watt resistor, and space it away from the board. Mouser has some 5 watt metal oxide film resistors, but 43K is not stocked. They have 39K and 47 K in stock.

The current trend is toward resistors that are much smaller than an resistor of the same wattage rating that was made just a few years ago. The laws of physics haven't been repealed, stuff 2 watts through a resistor that's half the size of an older 2 watt resistor, and it will run hotter.

Modern high temperature parts can take the heat, and modern no - lead solder takes more heat to melt, so all looks good on paper. Trouble is that none of the resistor makers even dream of building tube amps where several resistors and some hot tubes are all stuffed into a box. They stick one or two into a power supply......

As you have seen the hotter resistors will transfer heat up their leads to the solder joint......it's even part of the new resistor's temp spec. The solder joint and PCB is part of the resistor's heat sink.

For this reason I allow as much lead length as possible to transfer less heat to the solder joint. Heat rises, so if you are putting the resistor on the bottom, space it a half inch or so below the board. If given the choice of two different 3 watt resistors, go for the larger of the two. The extra surface area will help shed some of the heat.
Old 6th October 2018, 12:56 AM   #296
wanders is offline wanders  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanation. FWIW, the resistors are mounted higher than they appear in the photo, but being on the underside with a solid surface an inch or so away they're getting a lot of trapped heat. I ordered some 3W, 43K replacements from Digikey; and on the final chassis the resistors will be open to the air. Hopefully those two adjustments will do the trick.

For info, along with a couple of friends, we displayed the amps with a diy pre and speakers at Burning Amp in SF. The system was well reveived (although the Nelson Pass exhibit managed to get most of the attention.).
Old 20th October 2018, 02:26 PM   #297
boywonder is offline boywonder  United States
diyAudio Member

George...Excellent excellent excellent!!!

I've been distracted by a camper van build and a camper van forum for the last 5+ years but I've been thinking about building a triode PP KT88 amp with some really nice iron I have stashed in the closet.

My thoughts have been to build sgregory's mosfet follower Mullard design, but Chrish's amp with the LTP's keeps calling to me.....and at this point you've got some driver boards for just that......I'll take a pair....

George, I just sent you a PM about a paying "work" project as well......

Last edited by boywonder; 20th October 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 1st November 2018, 03:21 AM   #298
Paperweight is offline Paperweight  United States
diyAudio Member

I finally made it through the 6L6 AB2 thread and this one.

One of the interesting things I picked up assembling the uTracer a couple of years ago is placing ceramic beads on the leads of a large resistor to raise them off the board. HP was fond of using them on ceramic capicitors to keep them from flopping over.
Old 1st November 2018, 03:39 AM   #299
dch53 is offline dch53  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
I finally made it through the 6L6 AB2 thread and this one.

One of the interesting things I picked up assembling the uTracer a couple of years ago is placing ceramic beads on the leads of a large resistor to raise them off the board. HP was fond of using them on ceramic capicitors to keep them from flopping over.
I picked up on that too. After searching for reasonably priced ceramic beads recently I ended up buying 2700pcs/lot White Glass Seed Beads Bulk 2.5mm Spacer Beads off AliExpress for US$2.75.

They're not exactly white but they'll do the job.
Old 8th November 2018, 01:57 AM   #300
Paperweight is offline Paperweight  United States
diyAudio Member

Tubelab, do you still have boards left? I was wanting to get four. Two for a quad of KT-88s and another pair to experiment with those 6BG6GAs.

Hope everything is going okay with you.

Last edited by Paperweight; 8th November 2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Slow and stupid. I hate mobile/tablets.

Tubelab Universal Driver Board, 2015 versionHide this!Advertise here!