Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 13th October 2017, 04:34 AM   #1
Cifte12AU7 is offline Cifte12AU7  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with my board! R26

My R26 is literally touching my tube socket V21 pin no. 5 on the PC board. That freaked me out because R16 is not touching V11 pin no. 5 on the board.

I noticed this just as I was getting ready to solder the R26 location in question.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

I looked at George's website and several of his photos look like the solder on the back of the board is touching at R26 and V21 pin no. 5. But I'm confused, because wouldn't the design require symetry on the other side of the amp (i.e. at R16 V11 pin no. 5)?

Or am I not seeing this right?

Please help! I had a great, calm and methodical process going on--absolutely enjoying this project. And I don't want to go further until I figure it out. I'm wondering if I'm just not understanding the layout or if my printed pc board is off a bit.

Thanks much!
Old 13th October 2017, 05:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A close up R26 overlapping v21 pin no. 5.

Old 13th October 2017, 01:34 PM   #3
PDL is offline PDL  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you please attach the photos to the forum and not use photobucket?

I and many others can't see them.
Old 13th October 2017, 02:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th October 2017, 02:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Old 13th October 2017, 02:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Old 13th October 2017, 02:53 PM   #7
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

R26 and R16 are low value resistors, 100 ohms, placed in series with the control grid of the power tube, as a precautionary measure for the purpose of suppressing possible parasitic oscillations in the power tube, under unusual operating conditions.

Pin 5 is the control grid of the power tubes.

Other than the remote possibility of some excess heat being physically transferred to the resistor, and possibly compromising its lifespan, I don't see much of a problem with it physically touching the tube socket at pin 5.

Symmetry is pleasing from a builders point of reference, but electrons can't see and it is of no consequence to them in this instance.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just take your time, and enjoy your build. If you have questions, just ask. We all learn that way. Sometimes it may take a bit for somebody to see a question and get back to you on it.

Welcome to the Tubelab forum.

Win W5JAG
Old 13th October 2017, 03:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

W5jag, What a relief! Sorry for the freak out. I was just excited about how smoothly my resistor soldering went that I was scared that my board might have an issue.

THANK YOU!!!! I'd be lost without you guys.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Hannibal 8 is offline Hannibal 8  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine looks just like yours. This project was my first amp build. The completed amp is on in my studio all day every day and has thousands and thousands of hours on it. I'm currently building one for my son and another for a friend as gifts. It's truly one of the few projects that have given back to me more than I put in. Enjoy.
Old 14th October 2017, 12:52 PM   #10
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Help with my board! R26
And that pcb holder you have is one of those gotta have items.

Help with my board! R26Hide this!Advertise here!