Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 14th October 2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

There is no problem with your board....they are ALL that way.

It's just one of the many things that happen when laying out a PC board. The layout guy (me) considers the spacing of things with respect to thermal, voltage and current perspectives. R24 is connected to pin 6 of the tube, and can stand a lot more heat than it will find beneath the edge of the tube socket, but a poorly installed R26 accidentally touching the lead of R24 will cause bad things to happen to that output tube and probably a few more parts. The two output tubes must have as much space between them as possible, so as with most things in life, PCB layout is all about compromises and balancing them to make things fit.

Quote:
And that pcb holder you have is one of those gotta have items.
It's a lot cooler than my usual stack of books!
Old 14th October 2017, 11:35 PM   #12
Cifte12AU7 is offline Cifte12AU7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you all calming my nerves!!! Thanks George for chiming in. You are the man!

The pcb holder was really inexpensive. I highly re I'm excited!!
Old 15th October 2017, 01:44 AM   #13
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Help with my board! R26
searching for one now and enjoy your build
Old 20th October 2017, 05:24 PM   #14
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

In the early 80's I worked for Beltone when their hearing aids were designed and built in Chicago, Ill. I was a packaging engineer which at the time meant I was responsible for making all of the components of the hearing aid fit into its enclosure. I started off working on the 'behind-the-ear' hearing aids which had acres of space compared to the 'in-the-ear' hearing aids which were relatively new at the time.

A typical hearing aid had a microphone, a speaker, a volume control and a PCB that contained a IC chip and the amplifier circuit along with potentiometers that were used to adjust the equalization of the sound. Of course there was also the battery.

At the time PCB layout design was done BC (before CAD) on a light table that was about 3 feet by 6 feet in size. The circuits were developed using translucent tape in either 2 or 4 colors depending on how many layers the PCB had.

Imagine taking everything into consideration that George described and once completed reducing the PCB layout to 1/100th the scale it was created in.

Back then the circuit designers thought of themselves as being special. Of course once computer aided design software for PCB circuit became automated I think those guys lost some of their exclusiveness once the software was able to create the circuits.
Old 20th October 2017, 05:29 PM   #15
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
And that pcb holder you have is one of those gotta have items.

I'd like to see the photos of the holder you mentioned. What I did was use 4 4 inch long screws that I could mount to the board in the four corners using two nuts tightened up against washers on either side of the board.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:00 PM   #16
juststeve is offline juststeve  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

PC Board Holder to mount Circuit Boards 360deg: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Old 21st October 2017, 12:10 AM   #17
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Help with my board! R26
$7 on e-bay-free shipping

Help with my board! R26Hide this!Advertise here!