Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th March 2018, 10:48 PM   #11
DaMuffinMan is offline DaMuffinMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Pitchinwedge, which ones did you decide on?
Old 9th March 2018, 11:02 PM   #12
pitchinwedge is offline pitchinwedge  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to order this 5A/250VAC switch.

30mm Momentary or latching 1no1nc Ring LED Anti Vandal Push Button Switch 6V, 12V, 24V, 110V, 220V-in Switches from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Seems to me it should work but would like some reassurance
Old 15th May 2018, 04:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I realized during final assembly that I don't have specs for the illumination LED on the switch described in my previous post. I've sent an email to the vendor, but in the meantime, I hooked up the switch w/o illumination. Thankfully, the power on/off works as expected.

When I ordered the switch, I assumed it could be installed the same way as the lighted switch on my IEC power entry module. Now I'm not so sure. The pin configuration makes me believe the LED is most likely 5V or 12V DC.

The switch has 6 terminals: 2 for NO, 2 for NC, one +, and one -. Assuming I'm correct about it being DC, any suggestions on how to make the LED connections?
Old 16th May 2018, 04:30 PM   #14
akimmet is offline akimmet  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you order the switch from the alibaba page from your previous post? If so, most of the specs were in the order page. Depending on what you selected when you ordered, the LED will have a built in dropping resistor for 6v, 12v, 24v, 110v, or 220v. If you selected a lower voltage than you wanted to use, you will need to add another drop resistor and a diode to prevent exceeding the PIV rating of the internal LED.

I also highly recommend installing a RC snubber across the switch contacts if you havenít already.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ah that makes sense. There is some shrink tubing on one of the LED terminals and I think a resistor is hiding underneath. Household voltage is 110v, but I ordered 220v, and the vendor says the LED is rated for 250v.

RC snubber sounds like a good idea but I've no idea how to implement. The little I understand from Google searching is that a resistor and capacitor is needed? Would I connect as shown in the image? What values would I use?

power.jpg
Old 17th May 2018, 05:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

The 220v version is likely work with 110v, it will just be a little dim.

The snubber is recommended because your power switch will likely live a short an unhappy life without one. More important than anything else, any capacitor placed on the mains must be safety rated for that purpose.
Old 17th May 2018, 04:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I just found a solution online. Schematic confirms my previous drawing and simple formulas provided based on voltage and current:

Rs=V/I
Cs=1/((V^2)∗switching freq)

So, calculate using 120V, 4A, and 1 for switch freq:

Rs=30ohms
Cs=39uF

Look ok?
Old 17th May 2018, 05:12 PM   #18
PDL is offline PDL  United States
diyAudio Member

Your drawing is not correct. Snubbers go across switches, not in series with them.
Old 17th May 2018, 06:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL View Post
Your drawing is not correct. Snubbers go across switches, not in series with them.
Thanks for the correction. How does it look now?

power.jpg
Old 17th May 2018, 07:33 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Your new diagram looks correct, another way to correctly install a snubber is in parallel with your load (the power transformer). However, your calculated values are off. A common combination is a .1uF X2 safety capacitor in series with a 4.7R 1W resistor.

Most importantly the capacitor needs to be at least X2 rated, this will help avoid catastrophic failure of the capacitor. Older amps commonly used 2500V ceramic capacitors and they were known to occasionally blow apart.

Power switch optionsHide this!Advertise here!