Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th September 2017, 08:04 PM   #1
johnzm is offline johnzm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default choke mounting directly under PT ok?

Hi guys,

i am wrapping up my chassis, and i needed some extra space, so i was wondering if it would cause any issues to mount the choke directly under the power transformer?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170909_154652.jpg (516.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 11th September 2017, 03:25 PM   #2
w5jag is online now w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it will be OK - I'm lazy, so I try to double up the use of drilled holes in that manner whenever I can.

For a time, I had an open frame filter choke sharing the mounting same holes as an open frame output transformer on my low voltage SSE. OPT on top of chassis, choke directly underneath, and I could not hear or measure any adverse effect from that.

Win W5JAG
Old 11th September 2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
As it appears to me, magnetic axis are 90° between them, so, the coupling is very poor. I suspect not problem doing this. In case, power the trafo, and put an AC voltmeter or milliammeter across the inductor's wires, and check the position for the lower induced voltage ;-)
Old 11th September 2017, 04:53 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

choke mounting directly under PT ok?
I would turn it 90 degrees from its current orientation, other than that try it and see if all is satisfactory.
Old 11th September 2017, 04:55 PM   #5
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Looking at that picture, I see magnetic axis parallel, not perpendicular.
Laminations are parallel.

Personally I wouldn´t do it, choke might very well consider itself a loosely coupled transformer winding and *induce* some voltage across its coil ends where previously there was none
Talk about the fox taking care of the chickens.

I would place it anywhere but tightly coupled to the PT, and to boot with some sheet iron between them, so as not to leave any gap
Old 11th September 2017, 05:00 PM   #6
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
No, jm. Choke has the mag. axis vertical, while trafo has it horizontal, as I can see from the pic.
Old 11th September 2017, 05:51 PM   #7
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Osvaldo is right. There's no problem with mounting your choke like this. If you're really striving for minimum interference, you can search for zero interference like he suggested. Coupling is mutual, so if you find a spot where coupling between transformer and choke is zero, the coupling the other way (choke to transformer) is also zero.

Your choke has an air gap, which is a possibly susceptible point. But the gap is at the top of the choke, and the chassis will provide some screening against ac magnetic fields as well. Go for it!

choke mounting directly under PT ok?Hide this!Advertise here!