• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

choke mounting directly under PT ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

i am wrapping up my chassis, and i needed some extra space, so i was wondering if it would cause any issues to mount the choke directly under the power transformer?

Attachments

• IMG_20170909_154652.jpg
    IMG_20170909_154652.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 196
I think it will be OK - I'm lazy, so I try to double up the use of drilled holes in that manner whenever I can.

For a time, I had an open frame filter choke sharing the mounting same holes as an open frame output transformer on my low voltage SSE. OPT on top of chassis, choke directly underneath, and I could not hear or measure any adverse effect from that.

Win W5JAG

Looking at that picture, I see magnetic axis parallel, not perpendicular.
Laminations are parallel.

Personally I wouldn´t do it, choke might very well consider itself a loosely coupled transformer winding and *induce* some voltage across its coil ends where previously there was none :rolleyes:
Talk about the fox taking care of the chickens.

I would place it anywhere but tightly coupled to the PT, and to boot with some sheet iron between them, so as not to leave any gap :rolleyes:

Osvaldo is right. There's no problem with mounting your choke like this. If you're really striving for minimum interference, you can search for zero interference like he suggested. Coupling is mutual, so if you find a spot where coupling between transformer and choke is zero, the coupling the other way (choke to transformer) is also zero.

Your choke has an air gap, which is a possibly susceptible point. But the gap is at the top of the choke, and the chassis will provide some screening against ac magnetic fields as well. Go for it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.