Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 5th September 2017, 06:52 PM   #21
canersahin is offline canersahin  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5jag View Post
Okay.

That looks like a nice PT you have from James. Are you using their OPT's, also?

It looks like you will also have an unused 6.3 volt secondary on your PT, so I don't see why you couldn't use that for a buck. A 6.3 volt reduction in your line voltage will be good enough, I think.
Yeah I got James OPT and a choke

1 x JS-9612-2
2 x JS-6123HS
1 x JS-10-200S

Hmmm how can I use the unused 6.3v for a buck? I took a picture of the PT's diagram.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170905_214219-01.jpg (1,006.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 5th September 2017, 06:55 PM   #22
canersahin is offline canersahin  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Do you have all the parts?
Yeah I have all the transformers and tubes I'm also thinking about Damn Good 300b but I think i will go with Tubelab SE
Old 6th September 2017, 02:20 AM   #23
w5jag is online now w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it would be best to just use a separate transformer as the buck winding, assuming that you want to go the buck route.

After I posted my comment about using an unused secondary as the buck, I had some second thoughts about whether it would work, since all windings share a common core.

Tonight, I ran an experiment. I set up a small transformer on my bench, and fed it line voltage from a variac with a kill switch to be cautious, and used one of it's secondary windings to buck its primary. Measuring the voltage on another secondary, I was able to get both buck and boost, depending on how I connected it.

Specifically, I was measuring the 6.3 ( nominal ) secondary, which at full output from my variac produces 6.6 volts. Using a 5 volt secondary on the same core as the 6.3 volt winding, I was able to buck to 6.3 volts, and boost to 7.0 volts. So, it seemed to work about as expected, but I didn't try it under load, which might change the result.

Still, filament transformers are cheap, so there is no reason to do it an unconventional way. Just use a separate transformer - that's the safe and well established way of doing it. Others with more experience might have some better information or experimental results.

Win W5JAG

Last edited by w5jag; 6th September 2017 at 02:24 AM.

PT optionsHide this!Advertise here!