• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Orientation of choke, motor run capacitors, and speaker outs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on laying out my first SSE. Is there any logic or rationale to where the choke and motor run capacitors are located on the board, and how the choke is oriented with respect to the OPTs and PT? My guess is to get them as far from the OPTs as possible, but is it better to prioritize the location and orientation of the PT first, and then worry about these? Or, conversely, will these likely have little influence on hum and noise regardless of placement?

Also, is it OK to have the speaker outs located close to the RCA inputs (as in ~1.5" away)?

Thanks!

The mains transformer should be placed at 90degrees and as far away as practical from the output transformer to avoid. The choke position will make little difference.
Whatever do you need a motor run capacitor for? Use the correct component for the application unless of course this is to drive a motor.
Speaker outputs usually go to the rear of any amplifier for cosmetic reasons alone.

Whatever do you need a motor run capacitor for?

Tubelab's main page picture:

GlowingAmp5LoRes_b.jpg

Designer's text under 'Component Choices', “The supplemental power supply cap is an ASC 100uF 370 VAC motor RUN (not start) cap. These are cheap ($12 USD) on Ebay. This is the best $12 you can spend on your amp. “

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.